97 c1500 farm truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McSweeney

Reaction score
This is my baby, also a black hole where i throw my money...shes got a million dents, and 198k miles...needs a new transmission soon. Anyone got any tips on what i should do to keep the motor runnin? To just the motor ive done a full tune up with plugs, wires, cap/rotor, air filter, pcv valve, oil changes with lucas, cleaned the egr, and also had to replace the coolant temp sensor. It idles ok, the egr light kept comin on i think it might come back on bc in park it idles a little rough but i might just be paranoid bc the truck is all i got lol...so any helpful tips would be appreciated! :)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best thing to do is put a scanner and see what it's reading live. Unless it's an earlier gen.. From there you could make a plan. For example if it leaking fluid to a piston. There's not much you can do to have it run flawless without redoing the proper repair.
I'm not saying that's the issue just making a point in a way. My original motor ran 425k miles before we had to swap it. Even then I could of kept it. The darn headgaskets love to leak.... also use oem products and i personally would keep stock set up. Lot of guys love to put "cold air intakes" me being one of em... learned my lesson. Anyways just make sure your motor healthy then we can throw so tips on helping her stay on the road.:)

McSweeney

Reaction score
Best thing to do is put a scanner and see what it's reading live. Unless it's an earlier gen.. From there you could make a plan. For example if it leaking fluid to a piston. There's not much you can do to have it run flawless without redoing the proper repair.
I'm not saying that's the issue just making a point in a way. My original motor ran 425k miles before we had to swap it. Even then I could of kept it. The darn headgaskets love to leak.... also use oem products and i personally would keep stock set up. Lot of guys love to put "cold air intakes" me being one of em... learned my lesson. Anyways just make sure your motor healthy then we can throw so tips on helping her stay on the road.:)
Yea def need to look at the live data its running rich so gotta figure that out. Over 400k?! Thats insane. Im hoping mine will last over 200k lol thanks for the feedback I appreciate it

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea def need to look at the live data its running rich so gotta figure that out. Over 400k?! Thats insane. Im hoping mine will last over 200k lol thanks for the feedback I appreciate it

Yeah right now I'm at 472k. Trying to swap as many parts before they go bad so I can to keep my baby on the road lol. Seems like there's always something when you hit these miles..

McSweeney

Reaction score
Yours v6 or 8?
Yea i feel that, seems like its every week im fixin something, to be fair it was sitting for a couple years and im what you would call a “proactive” mechanic...which means i try to find problems where there are none lol. Its the 5.0 v8 fuel inj

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea i feel that, seems like its every week im fixin something, to be fair it was sitting for a couple years and im what you would call a “proactive” mechanic...which means i try to find problems where there are none lol. Its the 5.0 v8 fuel inj

Same here my wife gets annoying when I check the truck up, around , and under lol
You have to be though to be proactive . Also 5.0 I dont know much about but if there similar to the 350. Then I can tell you what all went out through out the years after being with mine for 23yrs

McSweeney

Reaction score
Same here my wife gets annoying when I check the truck up, around , and under lol
You have to be though to be proactive . Also 5.0 I dont know much about but if there similar to the 350. Then I can tell you what all went out through out the years after being with mine for 23yrs
Yea im not sure why they even included the 5.0 it seems that it’s identical to the 5.7, its a little more underpowered and supposedly more fuel efficient but for the most part the parts are universal between the two

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also I got my tranny from the dealer. 3yrs 36k or 100kmile warranty cant remember. Nice 4l60e. Supposibly upgraded version. unless you wanna put a 4l80. Feel bad saying that. Soon as you say trans. It starts a riot lol. 4l60 vs 4l80. And then it gets expensive:)