96 k1500 eats 4l60e's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saren42

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm at a point I'm looking at trying to figure out the solution to my transmission woe's, it's a 96 K1500 with the 5.7L engine, NV243, and 14 bolt rear end with the G80. The thing just keep eating transmissions, I got it back in my possession last year, and it's been just sitting there in my driveway, leaking fluid out the NV243 (driveway is on a slope). Most of the time, it would just tear up the 3-4 clutch pack usually within a few hundred miles of a rebuild. We've done a new ECU even, replaced the lines, checked the trans cooler for clogs, nothing. This last failure, was more catastrophic, seems the sun shell cracked, and no reverse, and only 1st gear forward, slowly, with the accompanying clunks from the transmission.

From 2010 to 2016, it had eaten like, at least 8-10 4L60E's, some rebuilds (from various shops), some salvage yard. I think towards the end, before it was parked for 4 years, the transmissions were lasting longer, but the truck developed a random stalling issue while driving, when up to temp. No codes thrown, so I can only imagine the transmission was a factor in that. And the current trans catastrophic failure is what led to it being parked.

So, to get to the point, what components/parts outside the transmission, could cause it to get eaten up like that? I want to try to figure this out, before I spent a few grand getting a new trans for it, and risk it getting eaten up the same way. Since money is kind of an issue for us, I'd like to try to solve as many possibilities as possible before getting the new trans, since to get the warranty on the trans, they require being the ones to put it in (and that's fair), not to mention, I don't have the people around to do a transmission on my own anyways, let alone the setup for which to do it.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great, and yes, I already plan on doing a rebuild on the NV243 before getting the transmission done, since that leak isn't helpful.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are you tuned? not sure if the 96 has torque management but i've read many stories of transmission life shortening if torque mgmt is touched at all.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is a wiring issue with the early '96 PCMs which can repeatedly kill 4L60Es if it's not fixed. Someone made a post about it here a few days ago but I'm having a hell of a time finding it now. I found it on another forum though.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/si...walkthrough-vcm-ecu-ground-wire-update-39893/

GM sells a kit to fix this, it's part number 12167310.
That was me df2x4. Fortunately it was only 96’s built early into February 1996. They are marked if updated. Mine is!

Saren42

Reaction score
So, I never touched the tune at all, and I don't know if the previous owner ever had though. I got it in 2007 and had no issues with it until 2010. Put on thousands of miles, including a few road trips. Was reliable and had no issues until the transmissions started to die. Let me check the manufacture date on the truck though, that should tell me something then. One thing I will say, it's not just acting like it's slipping when it would go out, the trans fluid in the thing would be smoked even. The only failure we know for certain, was due to a poorly re-assembled trans, the shop put the wrong pump on there, and it didn't fit right. Instead of my dad listening to me when we were putting it in, he insisted we go right ahead anyways. When installing it at that point, the TC was tight against the flywheel when first put up, before putting in any bolts.

Edit - Just checked build date.... 11/95. I'm gonna look into that wiring fix to see if it has been done.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check Pin #23. If it’s being used it’s done, if not, then update is needed. Good luck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Saren42

Reaction score
Well, hot damn. There is *NO* jumper between there. At least not outside the harnesses. I'll tear them open later to check for certain that there is no wire jumped like that, but hell this may of just solved so many of problems to at least help me get it back on the road, and I can start doing the real in depth and fun stuff on there (and not so fun stuff). I'll just bring my wire harness and plug tools home from work to do this in a quick knock out (I do 12v work for a living, audio, security, convenience, ect). I was bored at work today and reading TSBs about the truck, and I must of missed this one.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to this video, all 96-99’s need this update. Makes me wonder as well. You can still get upgrade jumper kit for about $70.00(a piece of wire with correct pins and instructions).
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media