96 k1500 eats 4l60e's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saren42

Reaction score

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i am an amature/hobby builder and some of the stuff precision does is hack. don't believe everything they say/do/etc. The Zpack they preach is is a marketing gimmick and should not be used. The late stock high energy frictions are superior. I would recommend you get ahold of Dana @ Probuilt transmission, he supplies rebuild kits and custom shift kits. making these units live comes down to the hydraulics. correctly modified separator plate and a GOOD valve body that has been vacuum tested and repaired where needed. 3/4 clutch clearance and 2/4 band servo clearance are critical and often even ignored by "the pros".

Feel free to post what the trans shop does for their builds.

Last edited:

Saren42

Reaction score
i am an amature/hobby builder and some of the stuff precision does is hack. don't believe everything they say/do/etc. The Zpack they preach is is a marketing gimmick and should not be used. The late stock high energy frictions are superior. I would recommend you get ahold of Dana @ Probuilt transmission, he supplies rebuild kits and custom shift kits. making these units live comes down to the hydraulics. correctly modified separator plate and a GOOD valve body that has been vacuum tested and repaired where needed. 3/4 clutch clearance and 2/4 band servo clearance are critical and often even ignored by "the pros".

Well, this is the info from their site about what they do for the 4L60E's.

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

What is the ZPack anyway? I always hear about it but don't know what it is.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the ZPack anyway? I always hear about it but don't know what it is.
clutch material only on 1 side of the clutch. there is double the amount of clutches now but most prefer to run 7-9 clutches and run thick as possible steels to absorb heat generated by clutch pack.

Well, this is the info from their site about what they do for the 4L60E's.

You must be registered for see images attach
looks ok. i'm curious what they run for clutch count and material in the 3-4. the bigger 2nd servo isn't really needed unless you're making big power, but it gives people a warm and fuzzy. bigger 4th servo only needed if you're doing WOT 3-4 shifts (100+ mph). I would pass on kevlar band as well. Dana @ Probuilt has 9 second cars running the STOCK BW high energy band. do not run the super hold servo if running the stock HE band the support isn't reinforced and can break it. Like i mentioned previously the correct hydraulics are needed to make these units live. This goes beyond copying what a Transgo shift kit does. I also would walk if they don't vac test the VBs or offer a reman'd Sonnax. even then i would still be vac testing it as it only takes about 10-15 minutes for an experienced person to do. leaks in the hydraulic circuits will kill this unit.

Saren42

Reaction score
clutch material only on 1 side of the clutch. there is double the amount of clutches now but most prefer to run 7-9 clutches and run thick as possible steels to absorb heat generated by clutch pack.

looks ok. i'm curious what they run for clutch count and material in the 3-4. the bigger 2nd servo isn't really needed unless you're making big power, but it gives people a warm and fuzzy. bigger 4th servo only needed if you're doing WOT 3-4 shifts (100+ mph). I would pass on kevlar band as well. Dana @ Probuilt has 9 second cars running the STOCK BW high energy band. do not run the super hold servo if running the stock HE band the support isn't reinforced and can break it. Like i mentioned previously the correct hydraulics are needed to make these units live. This goes beyond copying what a Transgo shift kit does. I also would walk if they don't vac test the VBs or offer a reman'd Sonnax. even then i would still be vac testing it as it only takes about 10-15 minutes for an experienced person to do. leaks in the hydraulic circuits will kill this unit.
Well, I likely won't be going for a performance pack at all. Since when I actually start to put power in the truck, it'll be with likely a 540 big block, and a supercharger, aaaaand I'm not gonna be running that with a 4L60E, lol. Been researching the Allison 1000 6 speed for that application, since I plan to be doing towing and play with it.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are many small problems with the 4L60E that add up to big problems at times. IMO the Z-Pack, by having more plates and a stronger plate at the top is a great deal. Programming by using a Transgo separator plate and shift kit will help considerably. I’m not a pro but I try to keep up with new ideas that make sense. The factory 4L60E is problematic and I believe GM has done a very poor job of correcting design flaws. Experienced builders with good warranties are the way to go if you’ve had so much bad experiences. More expensive in the beginning but cheaper in the long run.

Saren42

Reaction score
Have you checked your maf sensor to see if its dirty?
the MAF has been fine for years, and was replaced within the last few years as a "just in case" measure. Did not help. Also, never threw any codes for the MAF, unless it's disconnected, so it's clearly been working properly.