96 k1500 eats 4l60e's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saren42

Reaction score
So, aside from that jumper wiring, is there anything else I should be trying to look at, just in case on the truck to make sure it's all good?

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may want to look at the transmission valve body as well, it is the most neglected component in transmission rebuilds. It is like the fluid director in the trans. most transmission fail due to hydraulic pressure rise malfunction. clutches cant hold if the pressure is not correct, then they slip and burn up. shaft bushings are another often overlooked failure point. also a 4l60e can be updated and upgraded with alot of 4l80 grade parts, that will make it a very strong, dependable transmission. getting a transmission rebuilt the right way, is not cheap so I think alot of rebuilders take shortcuts or people wont get it done. you should have all electrical components replaced, a new wiring harness in the trans, transmission cooler added if u dont have one. the trans had 5 paths of fluid direction that it has to feed, if any of the paths have a pressure rise malfunction, it is going to kill the transmission. as far asb the electrical components, the solenoids, ect, they control the fluid flow path, the pintles in them wear, they activate and deactivated 10s of thousands of times during thier life, and wear out. they are not that expensive, REPLACE THEM ALL. there were changes in the valve bodies over the years, make sure you find a rebuilder that knows these things. third gear and reverse were high failure points in the 4l60e, but updates and shift kits were done, that corrects these issues. some of the plastic servos were updated to metal, lots of improvements available. when u meet the next rebuilder, tell him what you want done, dont ask them how much it cost right off the bat, as almost everyone who calls them does. he or she knows people are shopping around for the cheapest price. dont push them into a corner on the price that forces them to do a half assed job.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace your rad. this many failures I wouldn't even bother flushing the cooler.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if any of the rebuilds used extra clutches. The guy that did mine puts 2 (I think) extra clutches in.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think OP needs to find a reputable transmission shop to rebuild it. Let them figure out why it burned up and solve the problem so it doesn't happen again.

Any reputable transmission shop should also give you a warranty based on mileage or age. Around 24k miles I think is common, but I've heard as high as "lifetime."

That TSB definitely needs to be looked at also...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valve body separator plate problems are epidemic. The check balls pound the holes in the plate, the holes get oversized. Any competent rebuilder should see that, though.

There's a hundred special "kits" to repair a hundred different problems on the '700/4L60/4L60E family of transmissions. Sonnax is a good source.

THANKS for posting about the wire harness/VCM update. I looked at the video claiming that this is needed all the way up to '99. I don't know why the wire harness update is needed; supposedly GM fixed all of them starting in late Feb '96. But then, they're the ones who screwed it up to begin with.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it sounds like the OP's area doesn't have a shop that knows how to build a 4L60E. It's sad but i think this is the norm. I would honestly go the online route at this point. There are some good vendors that offer decent warranties. The only thing that sucks is shipping costs. There are also some "installer" problems as well. verifying correct full level on dip stick (has to be done with pan removed), correct torque converter spacing (1/8” to 3/16”, i prefer closer to 1/8” myself) and proper cleaning or replacement of ttansmission coolers and lines. Could have the best unit in the world but if not installed right you will have problems.

EDIT: if you go the local route or DIY you can buy a Sonnax reman'd valve body. I like using a new separator plate (either GM or Transgo) and use torlon checkballs.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valve body separator plate problems are epidemic. The check balls pound the holes in the plate, the holes get oversized. Any competent rebuilder should see that, though.

There's a hundred special "kits" to repair a hundred different problems on the '700/4L60/4L60E family of transmissions. Sonnax is a good source.

THANKS for posting about the wire harness/VCM update. I looked at the video claiming that this is needed all the way up to '99. I don't know why the wire harness update is needed; supposedly GM fixed all of them starting in late Feb '96. But then, they're the ones who screwed it up to begin with.
When I can, I want to confirm pin #23 is being used, supposedly that means it’s been updated. It has a build date of 6/96 AND part number revision #16244210. So, I should be all set. That video confuses me as well with the 96-99 timeline! I thought of contacting Black Bear Performance who recently tuned my PCM just to see if they are aware of revision, my guess is yes.

Saren42

Reaction score
Replace your rad. this many failures I wouldn't even bother flushing the cooler.
Already got a new rad (the existing one has a coolant leak in it) from Mishimoto, and getting a new, larger rad cooler. On top of new trans lines too.

Saren42

Reaction score
it sounds like the OP's area doesn't have a shop that knows how to build a 4L60E. It's sad but i think this is the norm. I would honestly go the online route at this point. There are some good vendors that offer decent warranties. The only thing that sucks is shipping costs. There are also some "installer" problems as well. verifying correct full level on dip stick (has to be done with pan removed), correct torque converter spacing (1/8” to 3/16”, i prefer closer to 1/8” myself) and proper cleaning or replacement of ttansmission coolers and lines. Could have the best unit in the world but if not installed right you will have problems.

EDIT: if you go the local route or DIY you can buy a Sonnax reman'd valve body. I like using a new separator plate (either GM or Transgo) and use torlon checkballs.
Also, I'm not from my area, this is the first time I'll be getting a transmission here, and there is a shop around that focus solely on truck transmissions, particularly 4L60E's, 4L80E's, as well as the truck transmissions for Ford and Dodge trucks. And they come with a 3 year or 100k mile warranty on em. They have damn good reviews, so likely going to go with them, contingient on how they act and what they say when I get the money for it, and get the truck to their shop.