96 centurion 2500 turbo diesel 4x4 standerd bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
still have not found anything....but did find this crazy truck. thought you guys would get a kick outta it.
You must be registered for see images attach

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay 6.5 gurus, what changed on the 6.5 between 1997 and 1998?
i know they got two thermostats, and better water pump. and bigger fan/ more blades?
this question comes from my hunt for power ( and centurion info like always),
wikipedia shows the 2500 with 8600 gvw as having 190 hp/ 385 tq in 97, and 195 hp/ 430tq! in 98. thats 5 hp and 45 tq more!
did they just change the ecu program because they could with the better cooling?

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is the best i have found on chevy centurion...still nothing like mine at all....

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
this is the best i have found on chevy centurion...still nothing like mine at all....

There was one of those mirages for sale up here awhile back

sent from Rustbucket

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
found a article about them closing. funny thing is i do believe my truck was built april 2006!

White Pigeon's Centurion closes

The new owner, Southern Comfort, shifts operations to Alabama.
January 25, 2006|ED RONCO Tribune Staff Writer

Centurion Vehicles of White Pigeon has shut its doors, moving all of its operations out of Michigan after being purchased by an Alabama-based company. The Starcraft brand vehicle customizer was purchased last week by Trussville, Ala.-based Southern Comfort Conversions Inc. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Southern Comfort has relocated Centurion's manufacturing operations to Alabama, where it plans to create about 80 new jobs. Centurion's plant, which employed about 50 people at 69651 U.S. 131 in White Pigeon, closed Friday. About 12 of those employees will join the Southern Comfort operation, and most of the others already have new jobs, said Centurion President Robert Froschauer. Froschauer, with Centurion since 1987, said he's talking to Southern Comfort about a possible opportunity in Alabama. And his former employees? "They're disappointed, obviously," he said. "They've been handling it well." The deal will be a big boost to the 26-year-old Southern Comfort, which will increase its presence among Starcraft brand dealers in the Midwest, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Robert McSweeney said. "That was the place that we were probably the weakest of all," he said. "It makes us stronger in conversion vans." The company hopes to see 2006 sales of about $80 million. In addition to the 12 manufacturing and purchasing employees Southern Comfort will add from the White Pigeon area, the deal also gives the company 12 salespeople based throughout the nation. McSweeney said his company has about 50 full-time production openings, positions he'd encourage people from White Pigeon to apply for. "We would be happy to entertain them," he said. Centurion had the approval of the General Motors Overseas Development Co., which means it was able to make GM products sold overseas. That, too, will be new to Southern Comfort. McSweeney said he hopes his company can "rejuvenate the once-famous Starcraft" brand. "The truth is, the Starcraft brand has not been modernized in the last few years," he said. Staff writer Ed Ronco

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this one said starting in 97 they would sell trucks under a few different names.... so it looks like my truck was converted in alabama! and was right after the move! this should be fun to find info on....

TRUSSVILLE, Ala., Jan. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Southern Comfort Conversions,
Inc. (http://www.scomfort.com ) today completed an asset purchase of Centurion
Vehicles of White Pigeon, Mich., a licensed upfitter of Starcraft Conversions.
This move makes Southern Comfort the nation's largest OEM pickup truck, van
and SUV customizer. Projected sales for 2006 are $80 million.
The acquisition brings Starcraft, one of the oldest, most recognized and
respected brand names in the United States, to a new home in Alabama. More
than 80 new jobs will result, for a total of 330 jobs at Southern Comfort.
"As the largest customizer in the nation, Southern Comfort Conversions
will be able to continue our exceptional growth and quality service to the
nation's automakers, dealers and customers," said Rod McSweeney, chairman and
owner of Southern Comfort. "We look forward to returning the Starcraft brand
to its once grand stature," he added.
Southern Comfort Conversions will provide its engineering, production and
business strength to the Centurion/Starcraft brands, while Starcraft maintains
its established name and international distribution with conversion vans.
Beginning in 2007, the brand name on the trucks and SUVs could be Southern
Comfort, Starcraft, Centurion, or COBRA, dictated by client's market needs.
Centurion/Starcraft's facility in White Pigeon, Mich. will close
immediately.
"Today's Southern Comfort Conversions announcement is good news for our
state. Alabama is home to over 300 automotive-related manufacturers,
including Mercedes-Benz US International, Honda Manufacturing of Alabama,
Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama and Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama,"
said Steve Sewell, executive vice president of the Economic Development
Partnership of Alabama. "This acquisition expands the state's automotive
cluster and enhances our position in the Southeastern automotive corridor," he
added.
As part of Southern Comfort's growth, the company is proposing to move to
one of several locations under consideration in Alabama. This determination
should be complete by July.

ABOUT SOUTHERN COMFORT CONVERSIONS
Founded in 1979, Southern Comfort Conversion is the #1 truck and SUV
converter for General Motors and also produces vans and trucks for Ford, as
well as trucks for Dodge. The company also produces the official RealTree
licensed HVx Extreme Hunting Vehicle, and is the conversion vehicle
manufacturer for Safari Club International. All vehicles have a three-year,
36,000 mile warranty. They also produce customized International Truck &
Engine products, including the CXT. The company currently employs more than
250 people in two locations: Trussville and Oneonta, Ala.
In addition to customized vehicles, Southern Comfort also has other
businesses affiliated with the automotive aftermarket industry. Their state-
of-the-art design and engineering expertise has lead to numerous development
projects with a variety of partners. Southern Comfort Ultimate Plastics
creates high-quality plastic OEM and aftermarket products for automotive,
boating and other recreational applications. The Southern Comfort accessories
department includes a wide range of parts and accessories for full
conversions, or for the do-it-yourselfer, including Southern Comfort
Conversions custom wheels.

ABOUT CENTURION/STARCRAFT
Beginning as manufacturer of farm feeders and tanks in 1903, Star Tank
Corporation realized that its processes and materials could be applied to
aluminum boats, as well as storage tanks, and turned the Starcraft name into
one famous for top-quality recreational and fishing boats. The company
expanded to top-quality, high-value recreational vehicles, camping trailers
and "pop-up" campers in the '70s. They began their marketing relationship
with Centurion in 2001.

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
southern comfort conversions

Conventional wisdom has it that the recent woes of General Motors and Ford can in part be attributed to growing consumer disenchantment with once popular SUVs and pickup trucks as the price of gas at the pump approaches $3 a gallon. The problem with conventional wisdom is that it is usually wrong. In fact, although truck sales have declined slightly, SUV sales remain a growth category – GM, for example, reported a 53 percent increase in sales of the Chevy Tahoe last January. Rod McSweeney, chairman and owner of Southern Comfort Conversions, Inc., thinks the big automakers could sell even more of these vehicles if only they could be more like, well, Southern Comfort Conversions, which recently tripled its manufacturing operations to accommodate rising demand for its customized vans, SUVs and pickup trucks.

“The problem with the big three is normality vanilla vehicles,” McSweeney explains. Go into any parking lot and what do you see? Vehicles that all look the same, except that some are white, some black and some gray. That’s why you see people meandering around the parking lot with their key fobs pointing at more than one vehicle because they’re not sure which is theirs.

“Many Folks are tired of having their vehicles look like everyone else’s, that’s why they pick us.”

Indeed, Southern Comfort Conversions, which employs about 250 people, produces 5,000 units a year out of Trussville, Ala. to generate annual revenues of between $50 to $60 million. As an approved upfitter, the company has the ability to make modifications to an automaker’s particular model chasses to add customized interiors and exteriors. These conversions are then sold like any vehicle through an authorized dealer network. In addition, potential customers can inquire through the company’s Web site (www.scomfort.com) about a particular vehicle conversion they are looking for, and Southern Comfort Conversions will match them with the appropriate dealer.

While the company specializes in a sort of “mass customization” in which customers can select specific pre-designed looks and options, McSweeney has no interest in doing individual special orders. “’One-offs’ will kill you,” he says. “There’s no profit in the time and effort you have to expend because some guy may want an ostrich interior dyed orange. The work isn’t going to translate into broader product development to recoup your investment in doing that sort of thing.”

Our typical customer is sufficiently affluent that, as McSweeney describes it, “The price of gas isn’t an issue. They want to go where they want to go, when they want to get there. And they want to do it with a certain added level of style and comfort.” Or if you will “Southern Comfortized!”

One example of the company’s typical customer that is atypical from the mainstream is the membership of the Safari Club International (SCI), a non-profit hunter and wildlife conservation group, with which Southern Comfort Conversions is a licensee to sell high-quality conversion vehicles at special member pricing that reflect the hunting lifestyle featuring SCI's "lion-and-shield" official seal. For each SCI vehicle sold, Southern Comfort Conversions donates $300 to support SCI programs.

According to McSweeney, about 42,000 of SCI’s 48,000 worldwide membership is in the U.S. “These are big game hunters interested in camouflage exteriors and exotic interiors for vehicles that can go off-road, but in style and comfort. The average net worth of an SCI member if $5 million, and the average annual income is $500,000.”

One of the company’s largest van demographics is Hispanic. “Chicago, Houston and Southern Los Angeles are huge markets for us because of the Hispanic population, which generally speaking seems very interested in something flashy that can accommodate a large family.” A custom van is both accommodating and a great value.

Trend Trailblazer
While it might be argued that success in such a niche market doesn’t necessarily translate to mass production, the fact is that the auto industry has previously followed paths first blazed by McSweeney’s company and others like him.

“The Conversion Industry was the first to put leather seats in pick-up trucks back in the 1980s,” he notes. Back then, the idea of a luxury interior seemed inconsistent with the utilitarian use of a pickup truck. Today, a luxury interior helps define the category. While the big three tries to get on the curve sooner, the problem, according to McSweeney, is that they rely heavily on someone else’s imagination. That’s our role and that’s what makes this business so much fun.

In the early 1990s, the company introduced the Chevy S/10/GMC Sonoma as well as the S10 Blazer/GMC Jimmy SUV conversion named “Vindicator” at a dealer product preview show called “The Announcement Show in Las Vegas.” The dealers liked it so well, the company sold a years production in three days. “Mr. Middlebrook from GM had our account representative asked three conversion companies to bring their trucks to Detroit so several engineers could look at the offerings,” McSweeney relates. “We were the conversion of choice. After the review, we were approached to price 25,000 conversions for the year model and we simply could not do those kinds of numbers at the time. Our facility was only 60,000 square feet. That opportunity for us was the platform used for Another Automotive Group to go on and produce several hundred thousand “EXTREME” trucks and small SUVs for GM. Mad about it? Not at all, in fact, the most creative thing about the truck was the custom paintwork. GM will never do what we do as far as paint.”

Imitation being the highest form of flattery, there’s no hard feelings. Anyone can bolt on a part, but painting is an art,” McSweeney says. Hiring companies like South Comfort needs to be explored by the likes of GM and the other domestic automakers. I’m in Detroit a lot and I always tell them, they need to have companies like Southern Comfort Conversions to fill the demand of niche products as well as make the normal products in hopes of having the widest possible appeal. We’re talking about “A new way of manufacturing” where in addition to mass production you go after niches. You can’t have a lot of options within a niche, but it’s better than making everything so vanilla, stuff that some buyers are really tired of.”

A case in point is the new Chevy HHR, a retro car that tries to capitalize on the nostalgia factor like the highly successful DaimlerChrysler PT Cruiser. The problem, as McSweeney sees it, is the HHR “simply lacks enough pizzazz. Put some custom wheels on it, some exterior parts to make it stand out, and upscale the interior, as well as custom paint, and then you’ve got something that people are going to get excited about. Without the excitement factor, some people want buy it.” Another is the Tahoe/Yukon, which McSweeney characterizes as “great but plain to say the least. But we’re about to hit the ground with a conversion that we predict is going to sell out in no time. Because it makes a statement that people are looking for that they aren’t getting, except from companies like us.” Our customers want hard, sharp aggressive lines and looks.

Nimble Manufacturing
Southern Comfort Conversions may have the advantage of relatively small size to capitalize on a niche market – after all, a lot of people buy vehicles simply for transportation and don’t much care about pizzazz – but McSweeney believes it’s not a question of scale. “Until the big automakers streamline their manufacturing and get to market faster, companies like us are going to always sell the really neat stuff that some customers demand. The big automakers have to be more nimble to anticipate trends, even create trends, and not just respond to them after the fact. They need to get to market before anyone else does with what people really want. The imports know this and are rapidly pursuing them. Have you seen the Scion commercials?

He is equally disdainful of focus groups. “Never done one, don’t see any reason to start. The trick is to determine what the latest ‘hot buttons’ and drive the design. I’ve have one of the best-experienced groups of engineers and designers that can take design cues from me and punch it out; the youngest guy on the team has been with us for over 20 years. I personally look at the exotics for styling and performance cues. Our Vindicator trucks and HHR conversions use a Porsche rear end and Corvette-like door designs, as well as BMW-type lower cladding. You take normal vehicles and you make them sporty as well as practical.

Nor is he overly fond of car shows, which the big three use to stir up interest in new products. “Customers respond to good design ideas that they can buy, not just some concept vehicle,” that rarely ever sees the street, he says.

Garage Start-Up
Southern Comfort Conversions originated as a hobby that was true to the original meaning of “garage business.” According to McSweeney, “I had always been interested in street rods, regular cars dressed up with special paint jobs and chrome wheels. I learned to custom paint in high school and one of the first street rods I did for my own use was a van. A friend in the used car business asked me to build one for him, and then gave me orders for 75 in a year. He was selling them faster than I could build them. That’s how my business got started.”

In 1979, as recently noted in “The Flashback Van” in The Wall Street Journal, “custom vans with flashy paint and outrageous interiors ranked high on the cool scale…a resurgence of road tripping and cheaper gas in the 1990s helped push the conversion industry to a peak of more than 180,000 units sold in 1994.” But as noted in “Conversion Vans Attempt to Make a Comeback” in USA Today, customized van sales have fallen 79 percent the past decade. The sharp drop, and tougher quality control by automakers, has cut the number of companies building custom vans to 25 from 200 in the 1980s.”

As you might expect, Southern Comfort Conversions wasn’t blindsided by this development, having already seen the potential in the growing SUV and pickup truck market. Indeed, in 1986, McSweeney changed the name of this company from AAA Auto Truck and Trailer to the current nameplate to better reflect vehicles of luxury, elegance and versatility beyond van conversion. The name has become synonymous with the image of upscale Trucks and SUVs, so much so that Southern Comfort Conversions was recently recognized as the top manufacturer for GM conversion trucks and SUVs in the country.

This isn’t to say the company has forsaken van conversions. In fact, McSweeney is president of the Conversion Van Marketing Association (CVMA), a consortium of 19 van conversion manufacturers that partner with GM formed both to promote the vehicle and facilitate sales. It is hopeful to help pump van conversion sales over the next several years. People just forgot about vans during the SUV craze. While it was happening vans become great in both chassis and customizing. In fact, the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana have received the federal government’s highest frontal crash test rating – five stars – for the driver and front seat passenger from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, as well as voted the best value in the Detroit Auto Show.

“The advantage vans have over SUVs and trucks is that they can transport more people,” McSweeney explains. “Vans are also built better than they used to be and can certainly make more of a personal statement than the tired old minivan look. A conversion van can also provide all the amenities and good looks of a limousine.”

This makes it ideal for the Middle Eastern market, where royal families like to drive their families in style. And, thanks to the recent acquisition of Centurion Vehicles of White Pigeon, Mich., Southern Comfort Conversions now has an exclusive contract to supply conversion vans to that portion of the world. Via GMODC General Motors Oversees Development Company.

McSweeney also believes that the growing middle classes in other nations will also shift international demand into higher gears. “Asia is killing us with product that we can’t compete with because of the lower cost of labor. But they’re not very good at specialized manufacturing. This a great opportunity for us to correct some of the import/export balances.” CVI had the license agreement to manufacture Starcraft vans. Starcraft is the most recognized name in the export market.

This is not to say that Southern Comfort Conversions doesn’t see the value of sourcing offshore. “We put custom wheels on our conversions, but we can’t compete with the Asian labor force, so we buy them from an Asian manufacturer for much less than we could make them for here,” McSweeney says.

Vertical Integration
In some cases, however, it makes more sense to bring manufacturing in-house. “We’re a vertically integrated manufacturer,” McSweeney explains. “We do the engineering, the design, the tooling and the production here. Twelve years ago, we started designing proprietary plastic parts and having them manufactured by others. But when we were unable to get to market fast enough, we decided to start manufacturing our own. Now in addition to producing the parts we need, our plastics facility makes parts for boating, RV, golf and other industries.”

The company’s expanding product line coupled with its recent acquisition has also caused it to expand its 200,000-square-foot facility to a new 532,000-square-foot plant. “We didn’t consider keeping the Michigan plant open for a number of reasons. For one, we wanted to maintain local control, which you can’t do with plants at almost opposite ends of the country.

Secondly, the Michigan facilities weren’t as up-to-date as ours duplicated a lot of what we already had here. And we wanted to avoid the hassles of integrating two different cultures; I talked to a lot of people, and it just seemed that it takes a while to make an effective integration work. So we decided that we can better achieve economies of scale to just start everything up new down here.”

McSweeney touts the acquisition as establishing Southern Comfort Conversions as the largest in the business and a “pill worth swallowing. Centurion was the license holder of Starcraft Conversions, a long established and well-recognized product. So we bought a good brand name along with expanding our dealer network by 30 percent and gaining export rights that will fuel our future growth and enable us to serve customers even better.”

Other high-octane developments include pool contracts with DaimlerChrysler as well as Ford and the International Truck and Engine “CXT.” McSweeney says he hopes to grow our business in other areas such as Hummer and Medium Duty Trucks.

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is from a guy doing the same thing i am, looking for info on his centurion truck!
Here is a quote from Centurion:
"Centurion Vehicles, Inc.
7769 Gadsden Hwy.
Trussville, AL 35173

Your truck is extremely Rare! You are correct it is a Centurion Conversion. Centurion is a company that stretches and transforms new half ton trucks directly from the Chevrolet assembly line into interesting GM prototypes.

Here's a little info on Chevy Centurions:
Centurion is the leader in automotive conversions and is well known for their crew cab conversion trucks featuring the most popular Chevy 1500 using 100% GM parts that are warrantied through your GM dealer. Centurion Conversions is known for building extremely rare models that few have heard about or ever seen! The 1997-1998 half ton models are hard to come by and if you do they are still worth a pretty penny. The 97-98 Chevrolet 1500 crewcab/short bed is extremely rare so if you own one of these then you have a needle in the haystack! Centurion had a very limited production number of these trucks. Approximately every 4 months one was picked off the assembly line and sent to Centurion. After the conversion most were purchased by GM employees. The 4wd models were fewer and started just under $40k at $39,975. All GM dealership brochures in the 90's only offered a standard & extended cab in the 1500 series trucks however a limited amount of 2500 & 3500 crewcab/longbed W/T (work truck) were available by special order only. Centurion Conversions were bought out by Southern Comfort Conversions 1/24/06. You Sir have a truely incredible, rare classic.

Centurion Conversions
The Nation's Largest Customizer of OEM Pickup Trucks Formed in Trussville Alabama "

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
found a chevy with my paint job kinda! getting closer to finding my truck! says austin on it!