96 centurion 2500 turbo diesel 4x4 standerd bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know, my trucks have a 3" Flowmaster down pipe at the very least if not a full exhaust. It's no wonder these trucks overheat from the factory, it can't get exhaust out.

Source Unknown

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
right! i had a bad vacuum pump when i got the truck so who knows how long it was bad, but must have been awhile because my "soot trap" (looks dead the same as a cat inside!) was packed with soot. it was really heavy. i wish i knew what a new one weighed because this plugged one is heavy. my turbo sings now! any touch of the accelerator no matter how light of a touch, you can hear the turbo spool more and more! love it. i did the air box mods while i was in there last night too.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah those soot traps are a joke. I have heard that the 07 and newer soot traps flow alot better. There is a guy running one an a 6.5 hotshot rig that gets 50-75k out of them and those are the best he's found so he can pass emissions in most states.

They are 4" too.

Source Unknown

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cool. i live in connecticut (very sad about that) but we do not have emissions for this truck. just the opacity test to see how bad it smokes at 35 mph.

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
diamond eye 4" straight piped exhaust review!
i love the new exhaust, getting way better fuel milage! for anyone wanting an exhaust but worried it will be too loud, just get one. i did the straight piped 4", and yes i was worried it would be loud and would get old and id want a muffler. IT IS NOT LOUD! i was a little let down cause i thought it would be louder!
you can barely hear it over the idling engine, and cruising all you hear is turbo whistle if you open the back window. when you go full throttle it sounds like a big block with 50 series flowmasters, i have a buick with a 455 with headers and dual exhaust w/ 40 series flowmasters that is louder. you can barely hear it in the cab with the windows up.
the exhaust cost me $275 shipped to my house with a 5" SS tip!, i had to move one hanger on my truck frame, just bolted in pre drilled holes about a foot forward of where it was. the second hanger was not right, instead of cutting it up and re welding i took the hanger off the crossmember and bolted to a hole pre drilled over exhaust. i do not like the clamps supplied with the kit so i fully welded the whole exhaust, now salt cant get into the joints and rot them. for my truck i even had a whole 48" pipe left over (good to repair rot down the road, it is aluminised exhaust so will rot in northern states)
so if you're sitting on the fence getting ready to get an exhaust, just pull the trigger and get the straight piped one!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
diamond eye 4" straight piped exhaust review!
i love the new exhaust, getting way better fuel milage! for anyone wanting an exhaust but worried it will be too loud, just get one. i did the straight piped 4", and yes i was worried it would be loud and would get old and id want a muffler. IT IS NOT LOUD! i was a little let down cause i thought it would be louder!
you can barely hear it over the idling engine, and cruising all you hear is turbo whistle if you open the back window. when you go full throttle it sounds like a big block with 50 series flowmasters, i have a buick with a 455 with headers and dual exhaust w/ 40 series flowmasters that is louder. you can barely hear it in the cab with the windows up.
the exhaust cost me $275 shipped to my house with a 5" SS tip!, i had to move one hanger on my truck frame, just bolted in pre drilled holes about a foot forward of where it was. the second hanger was not right, instead of cutting it up and re welding i took the hanger off the crossmember and bolted to a hole pre drilled over exhaust. i do not like the clamps supplied with the kit so i fully welded the whole exhaust, now salt cant get into the joints and rot them. for my truck i even had a whole 48" pipe left over (good to repair rot down the road, it is aluminised exhaust so will rot in northern states)
so if you're sitting on the fence getting ready to get an exhaust, just pull the trigger and get the straight piped one!

Sound anything like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpmFbY8nmbU

;)

By the way, it's not a "soot trap". That's just internet hokum by the uniformed. It's a catalytic converter and it actually does what it is are supposed to.

Mine still has one and it pulls 271/446 on the rollers.

That's somewhere around 300/500 at the crank.

:)

Last edited:

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no pics yet, been cold and snowing here. ill get some soon.
yup, sounds just like the video! i got the turbo back exhaust, all straight pipe, no cat.
i heard its called a soot trap too. but when i looked in it, it is definitely a cat! and a soot covered, plugged up one at that! im guessing thats why people call it a soot trap.
i want 271/446 in my truck!!! it needs it with these tires. i did the air box mod while i was doing the exhaust. no difference from what i can tell, but it was all at once so who knows. figure at least its getting a little more air.
been looking at chips. leaning to kennedy because i like the idea of keeping the vacuum wastegate set up. not a fan of the turbo master.

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
exhaust pics! ill take better ones when it warms up. truck is dirty and covered in road salt. look how quick everything rusts in new england! this is one winter that is not even over and i have rust. the exhaust hangers are a week old and already rusty. hate CT!

dented stock downpipe and new one,
You must be registered for see images attach

downpipe fits great, i was worried it would be super tight but its pretty roomie around it still.

lots of room with lift, think it would be tight with torsion bar housing in frame like stock.

bolt hole is where old hangar was

found taped hole so i drilled hole and put it over pipe

fits good, not going to hit that axle ever! haha

5" salty, dirty tip. see my newly painted and welded bed rusting again already! damn salt!

cant wait for spring so i can re paint everything....again! gotta get outta connecticut!

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so since i got this truck i have been hunting down info on anything i can on it. there is nothing! i have yet to find a rclb centurion truck anywhere!
anyone with info please let me know.
i found a few 1500s with 4 doors but zero on this truck. ZERO. kinda sucks, kinda cool.
i have looked up centurion conversions, southern comfort the company that bought them, googled everything i could think of and changed the wording around and still i find nothing. my truck is the only one that pops up if i look anything about it up.
i would love to know more about it so any info or leads to info would be great. i have tryed to get on centrioun conversions.net but regerstration is closed? and not one truck on there like mine from looking.
i did find a brochure for a ford in 96 and one had my paint and set up, looks like it was called a lerado or austin. that is all i have found since i got the truck