96 c1500 vortec 5.7 crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry H

Reaction score
i have a 96 c1500 5.7 vortec. it cranks but doesn’t start. i changed the plugs today put ac delcos in. it has a new starter new battery new distributor cap and sensor and plenty of fuel pressure. it has spark and fuel and i just put the crate motor in about 25k ago. please help thx

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Check the Crank fuse in the dashboard fuse block, I think it's a 20amp but it should say on the door to that fuse block or in your owners manual. You changed the distributor cap, did you replace the rotor too?

Jerry H

Reaction score
i did not replace the rotor but it didn’t look to bad it only does this crank no start in the winter summer is perfectly fine

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure you're getting fuel AND spark?

Engines need three basic things: air, fuel, and spark. The last two are usually the issue when it will crank and not start.

You can get a tool that goes between your spark plugs and wires, and it has a window to confirm you're getting spark. I've dealt with this issue on two trucks, 95 TBI and 96 Vortec. Both times, it was the Ignition Control Module (ICM). About $90 from most auto parts stores. I would check that first.

MrOverCast

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i’m just really confused by it
Check for spark. If it has no spark usually that means the engine harness isn't getting power or the crank sensor is broke. I've powered up one of these vortec harnesses on a Walmart table and even with every sensor disconnected it still sparks the coil. If it does have spark check your fuel pump then

Jerry H

Reaction score
i checked my fuel pressure last night it hours up to about 50 55 and doesn’t moved when i turn the key back off. so that means i don’t have a stuck injector. i checked spark all there and good. i don’t understand why it only does this in the winter.

MrOverCast

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i checked my fuel pressure last night it hours up to about 50 55 and doesn’t moved when i turn the key back off. so that means i don’t have a stuck injector. i checked spark all there and good. i don’t understand why it only does this in the winter.
Check your sensors too. If you have a scan tool obdlink or something take a loot at the sensors and see if any are out of wack. Example. -77 or something.

Jerry H

Reaction score
Check your sensors too. If you have a scan tool obdlink or something take a loot at the sensors and see if any are out of wack. Example. -77 or something.
i have a simply obd2 scan tool but idk what i would look for like the name. but what do you think about it only doing it in the cold