96 4L60E Too Flush or Not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
df2x4 check this thread out. These guys are all saying a harder quick shift is better for towing. I’m really hoping to get a call from Black Bear Performance to hear his opinion on this.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/towing-with-a-4l60e-best-practices/61435/page1/

^ X2 on what Schurkey said.

And like I said earlier, personally I wouldn't alter anything in the tune involving a 4L60E. As far as I'm concerned they're basically made of glass, and they need every bit of cushioning and torque management that the factory provided.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harder, quicker shift is better for the friction materials assuming you don't tear the material off the metal backing (band, clutch disc).

Harder, quicker shift is harder on anything splined, and the geartrain.

Given that sunshells are a real problem, and the geartrain is weak...both of which are way more expensive than a kit of replacement clutches...which parts do you want to go easy on?
I’m just trying to understand it all as this is all a learning curve for me. I certainly see your point and just saying “Hard Shift” invokes what common sense would tell you(hard shift=hard on something)! That other thread was researching a bit more. But as usual you just get more confused. Nothing personal, but this thread is just another thread of opinions.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you remove a significant portion of torque management from a 4L60E in one of these trucks, you will kill it. This is not an opinion, this is life experience I've verified twice because I'm too stubborn to take a hint.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you remove a significant portion of torque management from a 4L60E in one of these trucks, you will kill it. This is not an opinion, this is life experience I've verified twice because I'm too stubborn to take a hint.
You got me leaning towards that too! Did you go with the longer pin setup?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
After reading through a bunch of stuff on this upgrade it seems adding this longer GM pin in servo its more of an upgrade.
https://blog.oregonperformancetransmission.com/?p=390

Not sure, sorry. I didn't do the Corvette servo. I used billet servos (both of them) from Superior IIRC and took them to my builder to install while he was rebuilding my 60E.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did the pin install about two weeks ago with my Corvette 2nd and Super Hold 4th gear servos in my 700R4. It takes a fair bit more grinding than I expected. Mine ended up even with the first "ring" on the pin tip. The transmission hasn't been installed yet.