95 Tahoe lowering questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4doorhoe

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat, I’ve got a 99 Tahoe and I want to go static. Anyone know of what is involved with the gas tank situation? And is the suburban gas tank the same as the 2dr? Want to have these little things done before I start laying into putting on all the lowering stuff. Thanks.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Old post but not as old as some!!! I think the burb tank is too big, but dunno how many different sizes they have. I think it's just a matter of a crossmember to mount straps. I'd like to do it, just for the ease of true duals. The tank in the inside of the frame is a pain in the ass. I have a 98 that about a 2/4" drop, don't plan on going lower. Rear is lil lower now from this pic...

You must be registered for see images attach

4doorhoe

Reaction score
Old post but not as old as some!!! I think the burb tank is too big, but dunno how many different sizes they have. I think it's just a matter of a crossmember to mount straps. I'd like to do it, just for the ease of true duals. The tank in the inside of the frame is a pain in the ass. I have a 98 that about a 2/4" drop, don't plan on going lower. Rear is lil lower now from this pic...

You must be registered for see images attach
For me I’m trying to go really low, possibly a 5/7. Right now mines about a 2/4 as well. I just have read that the gas filler neck is going to be in the way if I go any lower in the back.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i dont see how it gets in the way. When i put the shackles in, the rearward most part of the spring was real close to the filler hose, which is rubber. Going any lower would just go above the tube...I can get a pic tomorrow if ya need.

Roads around here a f'n worthless. Im running 295/45s on 9.5" rears, and surprised I haven't rubbed anywhere at all...any lower would just be bad lol

4doorhoe

Reaction score
i dont see how it gets in the way. When i put the shackles in, the rearward most part of the spring was real close to the filler hose, which is rubber. Going any lower would just go above the tube...I can get a pic tomorrow if ya need.

Roads around here a f'n worthless. Im running 295/45s on 9.5" rears, and surprised I haven't rubbed anywhere at all...any lower would just be bad lol
How low of a drop are u running?

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The interference on mine is actually with the axle tube itself on the filler hose. The spring and shackles clear fine for me. I'm down about 5" in the rear.

You must be registered for see images

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is about 4-5" not sure cause the springs are sagging. I have a pic somewhere when I first got it, looks like the motor is out cause sits higher in the front. I cut a coil and put lowering shackles in the rear, and springs are in the highest position, aka most drop. Believe those are about 2-3", so with sagging springs and those guessing 4-5" lol. I'd have to get a pic on level ground how it sits, but sits a tad lower than the pic I posted. I'd have to look at mine again, but my filler hose is right behind the shackle/spring, didn't even notice/pay attention to where it went when I was under there....

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is about 4-5" not sure cause the springs are sagging. I have a pic somewhere when I first got it, looks like the motor is out cause sits higher in the front. I cut a coil and put lowering shackles in the rear, and springs are in the highest position, aka most drop. Believe those are about 2-3", so with sagging springs and those guessing 4-5" lol. I'd have to get a pic on level ground how it sits, but sits a tad lower than the pic I posted. I'd have to look at mine again, but my filler hose is right behind the shackle/spring, didn't even notice/pay attention to where it went when I was under there....

If you don't have a C notch, you are fine on filler clearance - the axle will hit the frame before it gets to the filler. At the ride height of my Limited, I would be basically sitting on the frame without a C notch, so I had to fight with it to get my ride quality back. I've got about 2.5" of bump travel in the rear now, which is about as little as you can get away with on a heavy truck while keeping decent ride quality.

Looking at where our wheel centers are relative to body lines, I think I'm probably an inch or two lower in the rear, so you're probably good on clearance anyway.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont wanna go any lower, dont wanna mess with notching n all that. Plus roads where I am SUCK, and would bottom out on everything. I like the way it sits now. But never looked underneath to see where the tube is...