'95 Impala SS rear disc conversion 'Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Gathering parts for the next round of mods this winter on my '98.
I have these. '95 Impala SS. Complete except for rotors. No biggie. Gonna order a set from R1Concepts.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've checked the other disc conversion threads, but they don't have any info on the Impala conversion specifically. Just info on how to mock up a system outa various off-the-shelf parts.

What I want to know is...
Will hydro-boost work with them? I realize that that needs a different master, so will that work straight up, or do I have to run a variable proportioning valve?
Without hydro, do I still have to change the master, or will the stock one I have in the truck now, work? With that stocker, will I have to run a proportioning valve?
Can/should the E-brake shoes be changed? These are kinda scummy. Don't know if they'll work, even with a good cleaning. Haven't been able to find any replacement shoes for those. Any info on where to find new ones?
Will these E-brake cables work? If not, any links to the proper ones?
Any other info you guys have on this swap would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
basically ebrake is your call if you use it clean it up if not then dont worry about it, i would add a variable prop valve and such extras in case, its hit or miss just like 14 bolt swapps some people have braking issues after some dont, why? who knows they are using the same prop valve id think. have you tried rockauto and such for replacments?

when you get around to it can you check the hub dia, as well as length and heigh dimension of the bolt pattern on 10 bolt backing plates for me?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had rear disc on a 94 that I had. When I sold it I stripped the brake components to save for future use (the rcss in my sig). I have mocked up the same components on my semi float 14 bolt short of bolting the rotors on.
I have a set of the old kore3 brackets, S10 calipers (no parking brake) and Impala rotors. The stock master and proportioning valve was used and the rear brakes would lock up on wet pavement. I don't intend to use hydro boost, I will be using a GMT800 master and eliminate the ABS and proportioning valve and if I'm not happy then I will plumb in an adjustable proportioning valve.
Will it help you with your brakes? Probably not. But it might be food for thought.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a friend who used the impala whole rear end but I know for a fact he did not hook any of the E brake stuff up cause the truck is bagged.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
basically ebrake is your call if you use it clean it up if not then dont worry about it, i would add a variable prop valve and such extras in case, its hit or miss just like 14 bolt swapps some people have braking issues after some dont, why? who knows they are using the same prop valve id think. have you tried rockauto and such for replacments?

when you get around to it can you check the hub dia, as well as length and heigh dimension of the bolt pattern on 10 bolt backing plates for me?

I can do that. I'll trace out the plates on some paper & send it to you.

I had rear disc on a 94 that I had. When I sold it I stripped the brake components to save for future use (the rcss in my sig). I have mocked up the same components on my semi float 14 bolt short of bolting the rotors on.
I have a set of the old kore3 brackets, S10 calipers (no parking brake) and Impala rotors. The stock master and proportioning valve was used and the rear brakes would lock up on wet pavement. I don't intend to use hydro boost, I will be using a GMT800 master and eliminate the ABS and proportioning valve and if I'm not happy then I will plumb in an adjustable proportioning valve.
Will it help you with your brakes? Probably not. But it might be food for thought.

That 800 master sounds like a good idea! Prop valve is being added to my list!
I like the idea of an E-brake. Lotsa hills around here!
My Dad's '52 was almost written off years ago by a GM vehicle that jumped outa park & rolled for almost 1/2 a block before hitting it right behind the driver's door. The offending vehicle had the typical 3 worn spots in the ring gear & the pin that holds the vehicle in park by sticking into the gear didn't have enough meat on the teeth to hold the vehicle! I was just a kid at the time, but that made a big impression on me! The '52 was just a matter of hours outa the body shop with a new paint job that had taken weeks to prep for. Dad said, "There's a lesson for you. Always use the E-brake!" Seeing his baby smashed the way it was convinced me!

I have a friend who used the impala whole rear end but I know for a fact he did not hook any of the E brake stuff up cause the truck is bagged.

That's also been suggested to me. Haven't actually measured yet, but apparently, the Impala rear is slightly narrower, too!

So...I guess it's gonna be a trial & error on the e-brake cables.
And, from what I have also been told, since the E-brake pads do no actual slowing of the vehicle, they can be re-used with a good cleaning because all they do is move outwards & clamp against the provisions on the Impala rotors. There is no actual wear on them from stopping the vehicle while rolling.

Thanks guys!