95+ Head Unit Recommendations & General advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds nice. I looked it up, too. Do you have a thread/post/photo of how it looks installed?
Dont have the best pictures of it
The extra space from a single din has allowed me to tuck the steering wheel pac, hdmi cables and usb cables back there with ease, aling with all the stock stuff for hvac and the radio

Attachments

• IMG_7793.jpeg
    IMG_7793.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8342.jpeg
    IMG_8342.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 76

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont have the best pictures of it
The extra space from a single din has allowed me to tuck the steering wheel pac, hdmi cables and usb cables back there with ease, aling with all the stock stuff for hvac and the radio
That’s great. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to look into it some more. Did you need to add a double din bezel to the dash? It’s hard to tell in the photos.

Attachments

• 6A337DEE-E3AF-422D-A7BF-DD9B4C5D83B0.jpeg
    6A337DEE-E3AF-422D-A7BF-DD9B4C5D83B0.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 3

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s great. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to look into it some more. Did you need to add a double din bezel to the dash? It’s hard to tell in the photos.
I bought one of the aftermarket bezel made to fit a double din. I dont like the look of that style where you cut up the bezel and slap a cover over it. Was like $70 on ebay. I like that it retains the OEM look

ChRoNo16

Reaction score
I would recommend having something connected from the 4x6's they can be filler sound but more importantly then you keep everything electrically balanced so the headunits internal amp isnt just pushing on one side not the other.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1 Factory Radio on Ebay refurbish and modify all sorts of factory radios.
This one is a stock 1995-98 radio with both line-out for aftermarket amps and a line-in for auxiliary input.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dont have a ton of experience, but audio control has some nice line out converters so you can use a factory radio and have all the outputs you need. And the outputs will be clean.

I’m also on the other side of the fence with rear speakers, especially with the position they’re in in our trucks. The left rear will always be too close to your head, plus you risk breaking every piece of plastic back there trying to replace them :superhack:

A decent set of components in the front on a decent amp with decent input will be a nice setup and more than enough for “most” people.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be upgrading the head unit in my ‘95 Sierra. I do not need a CD player, prefer double din, and don’t necessarily need CarPlay (but it wouldn’t be a bad feature to have). I want to avoid modifying the sub-dash as much as possible.

So far I’ve got a 12” RF subwoofer with supporting amp. I am planning on running components with crossovers in the front doors. Will I need to have something for the 4x6 in the rear pillar or can I just unhook those? Someone told me that if I didn’t replace them that my whole system would sound like crap. Is this true?

There is a guy who modified the stock radio for Bluetooth, but it doesn’t have the necessary outputs that I need for my system, unfortunately. It looks great. I wish I could run it.

Any help is appreciated!
Kenwood, Alpine and Sony make good head units. If you have an iPhone, then Carplay is awesome.

What kind of box do you have for the sub? RF stuff is still pretty good, as long as it’s setup properly it should sound good. Skip the rear 4x6’s and spend a little more on the front components. In an extended cab you will only need the fronts.

A simple setup with tweeters, mids and a sub can sound really good. A little sound deadening and proper settings and it will sound awesome, I promise.

Here’s a link, if you need a little light reading, of what I did in my Duramax. You’ll be able to tell I love this stuff.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
FYI. I don’t know who came up with this idea that you have to cut the dash inner to install a double din,I did a full DVD drive double din and didn’t have to trim anything. I did eventually trim about 1/8th inch vertically and 1/2 wide off a protrusion to get it jsut slightly farther back but that was it. Basically rounded the corner off so the head unit would slide in cleanly Without sticking there.

the non drive headunits leave inches of room behind them.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will be upgrading the head unit in my ‘95 Sierra. I do not need a CD player, prefer double din, and don’t necessarily need CarPlay (but it wouldn’t be a bad feature to have). I want to avoid modifying the sub-dash as much as possible.

So far I’ve got a 12” RF subwoofer with supporting amp. I am planning on running components with crossovers in the front doors. Will I need to have something for the 4x6 in the rear pillar or can I just unhook those? Someone told me that if I didn’t replace them that my whole system would sound like crap. Is this true?

There is a guy who modified the stock radio for Bluetooth, but it doesn’t have the necessary outputs that I need for my system, unfortunately. It looks great. I wish I could run it.

Any help is appreciated!
You can leave the rear speakers disconnected if you want. They are mostly for rear fill and wont affect the overall sound quality of your system if you do. However, that only applies if you're not going to replace them with speakers to complement your front ones when add components to the front. The reason being is they have a different tonal signature and it's going to be difficult to get everything to work with each other unless you can equalize your rear speakers separately from your front ones