95 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juante55

Reaction score
My grandfather left me his truck in his will. 95 GMC sierra I think it has a 5.7 not sure yet. Im looking to add power and some performance to the truck. Do they even make cold air intakes for this truck? Ive always had 03's and up. Some help me out!!!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
87-95 TBI truck's that have TBI use the same air cleaner neck size as a 4bl carb, 5 1/8th, and I like the look of an open element breather on these truck's that's what I have alway's ran on all my TBI's but yes there are other CAI's.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Just got done doing this on mine:

You must be registered for see images attach

Ditched the stock air cleaner and choke collar, ordered an Edelbrock open element intake. Only thing I used from the Edelbrock intake was the lid however, ordered a 3/4" rise base plate from Summit and a 14"x4" universal air filter to throw on it. The base plate that came with the Edelbrock was about a 1 1/2" drop, and would have required the stock choke collar or a spacer to work, and the filter that came with the Edelbrock was 3". Got a chrome push in breather to replace the breather tube that went to the choke collar.

juante55

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice keep it coming. Dont know what Ill do just yet but it gives me some ideas. It has some loud A$$ glass pack pipes on it now

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock air intake is a true CAI and will flow plenty of air. you can mod it if you want, but there is no gain to getting an open element.
A good tune up is the first thing you should do. oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, cap and rotor, frant and rear diffs, t case.

juante55

Reaction score
The stock air intake is a true CAI and will flow plenty of air. you can mod it if you want, but there is no gain to getting an open element.
A good tune up is the first thing you should do. oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, cap and rotor, frant and rear diffs, t case.

thanks for the advice. i work at a gm dealership as sales consultant. So my truck is already getting those things checked out.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well then my next suggestion would be a throttle body spacer and injector spacer and the ultimate tbi mods

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score

Eh okay.

OP I believe your truck should have two breather studs, not one like most older/carbed aftermarket breathers. It is a pain so I just went to my local Ace and picked up a piece of 1"x4" bar stock, 4 nuts to hold the bar, one threaded clip and a new stud. I used one of the old wing nuts from the original breather. It cost me 3 bucks. I had a K&N set up from an old mud truck in my garage, so instead of paying two hundred bucks for a new one I just cleaned/serviced it and stuck in on there. It looks better and performs better than the paper filters. There are a few problems with the original breather, mainly the horrible accordioned intake tube that goes from the fender to the breather. Another power robbing component is the hot air choke inside the inlet neck on the breather. It blocks a huge amount of air and really does nothing until it malfunctions or until the tube falls off of the exhaust manifold. Here are a couple pictures I just snapped, hopefully they will show the little adapter well enough to figure out.

You might notice that the bottom of my breather is upside down and that is because it was a drop base unit. It won't clear the distributor or MAP sensor mount so I turned it over. Been that way for a couple hundred thousand miles and no issue at all. I clean the filter at the correct intervals and apply the oil correctly. That is the motor as it sits now with over 300k on it.