95-98 Dash To 88 Dash Swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people do the inverse of this swap, but I'm wondering if anyone had done what I want to do.
You must be registered for see images attach

The look I'm going for with my Burb is for it to be an '88/'89 suburban if they made gmt400 burbs back then.

I'm a real big fan of the boxy square body looking dash of the older trucks, so how hard would this swap be?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of this exact project right now :D

Hope you're good with wiring, drilling out spot-welds, and have a lot of time.

You'll need:

The dash body: LMC sells them for $400+ shipping. You'll have to get most of the dash components from salvage yards.

The steering column AND intermediate shaft. You will need to drill the four holes for the column lower mounting into your truck's firewall. The good news is, the firewall itself doesn't need to be bent into shape, but you will need to cut a slot for the auto shifter linkage if you have an auto. The steering gearbox does NOT need to be altered.

The steering column SUPPORT. This is what the upper part of the column AND the dash attaches to. The 95+ column supports do not work, ask me how I know lol. This is where drilling out spot welds comes into play: there are four at the top of this bracket under the windshield, two above the brake pedal, and two between the upper and lower brake booster bolts.

Pic of my swapped-in column support for reference:

I recommend you pull one from a 94 truck, as the brake pedal mounting is the same on them as the 95+. 88-93 I cannot guarantee are the same, as the brake switches are definitely different in those.

You'll also need the A-pillar trim for both sides, unless you modify your existing ones to fit the old dash.

Your existing door panels will work (as in, they won't mess up the dash) until you can find old ones, but fair warning you'll be looking a while for those. And unless you modify the door pin switches for the dome lights, I'd recommend leaving them unplugged because the older dash switches don't contact the newer door panels.

The rest is mainly wiring.

Pull a complete HVAC system harness from a late 93 to 94 truck. These should be 4-speed units - 88- early 93 were all 3-speed. Unless you're really going for that all-88 look in which case you'll have the blacked-out controller that only ran 3 speeds, and you'll need a wiring harness from an 88-90 to match that. Note on these, NO RECIRCULATION DOOR CONTROL until the 92+ controller. So you'll want to figure something out for that. You will need the mode door actuators too, the newer ones are NOT compatible with the old controls.

Oh and Idk how you'll go about wiring up the VSS for the old 88 Moonie cluster, as those have the VSS buffer built-in... Meaning the sensor on the transmission ran directly to the cluster. And if you have an automatic trans, that adds another set of linkages and such you'll have to swap in so the column shifter will work as designed.

It's a mess, lol. But it's doable :D

Also uh... If you have a 98-99, you're going to need to bypass the PassKey system, and the EVO steering from 97-99... And I really hope you don't have the electric-shift 4x4, because there really is no old version option for that.

Last edited:

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You'll need:

The dash body: LMC sells them for $400+ shipping. You'll have to get most of the dash components from salvage yards.

The steering column AND intermediate shaft. You will need to drill the four holes for the column lower mounting into your truck's firewall. The good news is, the firewall itself doesn't need to be bent into shape, but you will need to cut a slot for the auto shifter linkage if you have an auto. The steering gearbox does NOT need to be altered.

The steering column SUPPORT. This is what the upper part of the column AND the dash attaches to. The 95+ column supports do not work, ask me how I know lol. This is where drilling out spot welds comes into play: there are four at the top of this bracket under the windshield, two above the brake pedal, and two between the upper and lower brake booster bolts.

I recommend you pull one from a 94 truck, as the brake pedal mounting is the same on them as the 95+. 88-93 I cannot guarantee are the same, as the brake switches are definitely different in those.

You'll also need the A-pillar trim for both sides, unless you modify your existing ones to fit the old dash.

Your existing door panels will work (as in, they won't mess up the dash) until you can find old ones, but fair warning you'll be looking a while for those. And unless you modify the door pin switches for the dome lights, I'd recommend leaving them unplugged because the older dash switches don't contact the newer door panels.

Pull a complete HVAC system harness from a late 93 to 94 truck. These should be 4-speed units - 88- early 93 were all 3-speed. Unless you're really going for that all-88 look in which case you'll have the blacked-out controller that only ran 3 speeds, and you'll need a wiring harness from an 88-90 to match that. Note on these, NO RECIRCULATION DOOR CONTROL. So you'll want to figure something out for that. Oh and Idk how you'll go about wiring up the VSS for the old 88 Moonie cluster, as those have the VSS buffer built-in... Meaning the sensor on the transmission ran directly to the cluster. And if you have an automatic trans, that adds another set of linkages and such you'll have to swap in so the column shifter will work as designed.

Also uh... If you have a 98-99, you're going to need to bypass the PassKey system, and the EVO steering from 97-99 lol

Good lord. Man, am I ever glad that I got a 94. I too like the 88-94 dash alot better.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people do the inverse of this swap, but I'm wondering if anyone had done what I want to do.

The look I'm going for with my Burb is for it to be an '88/'89 suburban if they made gmt400 burbs back then.

I'm a real big fan of the boxy square body looking dash of the older trucks, so how hard would this swap be?
Are you wanting a 88-94 pickup/92-94 Blazer/Suburban dash or an old square body dash like in your picture?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You'll need:

Pull a complete HVAC system harness from a late 93 to 94 truck. These should be 4-speed units - 88- early 93 were all 3-speed. Unless you're really going for that all-88 look in which case you'll have the blacked-out controller that only ran 3 speeds, and you'll need a wiring harness from an 88-90 to match that. Note on these, NO RECIRCULATION DOOR CONTROL until the 92+ controller. So you'll want to figure something out for that. You will need the mode door actuators too, the newer ones are NOT compatible with the old controls.

Oh and Idk how you'll go about wiring up the VSS for the old 88 Moonie cluster, as those have the VSS buffer built-in... Meaning the sensor on the transmission ran directly to the cluster. And if you have an automatic trans, that adds another set of linkages and such you'll have to swap in so the column shifter will work as designed.

Also uh... If you have a 98-99, you're going to need to bypass the PassKey system, and the EVO steering from 97-99... And I really hope you don't have the electric-shift 4x4, because there really is no old version option for that.
Holy smokes. More than a little bit of work

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

I see you have the ever popular " duct tape mod" on your Burb LOL ! I had to do that one on mine as well. Texas sun and old plastic don't play together very well.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You'll need:

This sounds like a **** load of work, but I am still considering doing it.

Anyways, the speedometer problem is actually an easy one to fix.

When I swapped the TH350 into my '95 Suburban, I was able to get the speedometer working by installing the 4l60e tailhousing/vss with a 40 tooth reluctor ring.

Despite differences with the sensors and the actual reluctor ring itself between these years, it still has 40 teeth, so in theory you should be able to bypass the buffer and hook the VSS directly to the cluster and it should work like factory.

Anyways, if I do the dash swap, I'm probably going to do it all with just junkyard parts.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I might be be better off hacking the existing gauge cluster into the older dash, but actually using some of my model making skills to make it look actually pretty good.

I just miss the dash I had in my '89.