'94 Z71 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well, to start, the first thing you need in your arsenal is a torque wrench. Almost everything on an engine has a torque rating....if ya don't get the bolts tight enough the part will leak/warp....too tight and the part could leak/warp/bolts break off.

I'll do some research and see if I can find you an old automotive technology textbook, that'll give you a good start of what's involved and how things work and so forth.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha, hence the reason I'd like to learn. I'm capable of learning, I'm a smart kid, straight A's through out every course. (Not really saying that makes me smart, but it's dedication.) I want to learn, I'm new to all of this. I'm capable of figuring things out.

That's a great attitude! As far as power goes, as mentioned above your going to want to start with your basic tune up. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor, oil, trans fluid and filter change etc.

The fuel filter is also something that should be taken care of, its located along the inside of the drivers side frame rail, right below the drivers door. Your local parts house will have one on hand, they are pretty cheap also.

Being you have a TBI, start with a tune up and replace the anything that needs attention before it's to late. THEN start to add bolt on's. A good free flowing exhaust system, will help a little with the low end power (AND/OR just make it sound much much better) also. Your still a kid, have fun and make it yours! :cheers:

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a torque wrench. I have a ton of tools. I have a school automotive technology textbook, but I'm not allowed to take it home, so... I know how to work on motors, just not full size ones. I've worked on my 450cc Single-cylinder 4-stroke quad and my 2-stroke sled, so...

I'm in an automotive technology 11 class right now, but we're still in the brakes unit. We haven't made it to motors yet, so...

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Maybe you can ask your instructor if you can bring in your personal vehicle during the time in which he's teaching tune-ups and engine work. Free use of a lift is always fun ;)

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, we can definitely bring our own vehicles in, I changed my mom's winter tires on her Camaro for free for her, so. I know my skill with real vehicle motors will be much more extensive than they are now by the end of this course.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
That's true, if you continue your studies in college, the automotive technology program there is like an advanced version of the high school vo-tech course. The ultimate engine course is automotive machine. I know a guy locally who pays tuition JUST to use the machines/lathes/etc and builds race engines and sells them on racingjunk.com and so forth.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Maybe you can ask your instructor if you can bring in your personal vehicle.

Our school had a very complete autoshop. Body shop, machine shop, 4 hoists, 2 tune-up bays. A bay just for welding & fabrication. The auto shop could do anything from tune-ups, to engine, tranny, & rear-end rebuilds. We even had a course for 'industrial plastics', where we learned how to make anything, from making fiberglass molds so we could make body parts, all the way up to having a mold for a Vega Funny Car.
So complete was the shop, that the school had it's own 1/4 mile race car. Built in the school from scratch. We had to have B+ or better grades to be a member. Tow-pig, trailer & car. Test & tune every Wednesday @ the track. Raced every 2 weeks,
I had a '69 Chevelle that was a high mileage beater. I bought it in early grade 11. By the end of grade 12, it was running high 12's/low 13's @ about 110mph. All built in the school's shop. Many days of the week, we never left until 10 pm. Like I said before, one of the few classes that I really applied myself to. But then my Dad was a mechanic, so I've had a wrench in my hand since I can remember, (My Sis still has a scar from where I wacked her with a 1" spanner, @ the age of 5.) so I wasn't totally green. I knew a hell of a lot more by the end of school.

Don't know what your school's shop is like, but if it's 1/2 of what our's was like, there should be no reason why you can't transform your truck into a personal statement that is like no other. If your teacher's are anything like the ones I had, they will encourage you every step of the way & help you realize the truck of your dreams.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our shop definitely doesn't have all of that, but it has a lot. 2 hoists and about every tool on
The planet. My dad was into motors when he was younger. Now that he'a so busy, he doesn't have time to teach me anymore :/
he's taught me a lot and he wants to teach me more, he just doesn't have the time. He's switched motors out and done all kinds of things to them, as his brother used to drive a racecar of some sort.