94 Yukon 350 Idle issues and Loss of power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllStrobedUp

Reaction score
you can download manuals here ...

I think I need to reset the codes which I don't know how to do. It seems these are the same codes that were on when I replaced the TPS a month or so ago.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a shut off switch that disconnects when I plug in the charger. It sits for days at a time with now power to the system.
If that didn't work while completely disconnected to battery then sounds like you need to hunt down a obd 1 scanner

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...or the problems are so severe that they come back almost immediately.

What is the fuel pressure? Does the pump prime when key is turned from "Off" to "Run"? How old is the fuel filter?

How old are the usual tune-up items--cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs? PCV and EGR systems checked for proper operation? Initial timing verified with the timing connector disconnected?

Connect a REAL scan tool, look for codes, but also look at the data stream. Verify EVERY sensor and computer output. Check fuel trims.

AllStrobedUp

Reaction score
...or the problems are so severe that they come back almost immediately.

What is the fuel pressure? Does the pump prime when key is turned from "Off" to "Run"? How old is the fuel filter?

How old are the usual tune-up items--cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs? PCV and EGR systems checked for proper operation? Initial timing verified with the timing connector disconnected?

Connect a REAL scan tool, look for codes, but also look at the data stream. Verify EVERY sensor and computer output. Check fuel trims.
The problem started Monday. The truck has sat for the most part over the last 6 years with some short drives here and there (less than 2000 Miles in the 6 years I have owned it).
It had gotten an new motor and transmission in 2012 driven about 20k miles and parked in a hanger until I got it in 2017. I gave a shop over 7k to not fix the problem and ended up having to hunt it down with limited knowledge and some luck. the Thermostat grounds were bad and the actual lead slug on the ground terminal had broken off and was free spinning. once I found that and replaced the TPS (changed the TPS when I learned how to read the codes). I became my daily driver and was running wonderful until Monday.

I replaced the EGR and MAP because it had not been done and would explain the vacuum/exhaust leak (which I know believe to be coming from the IAC passage on the TB).

When it was purchased I did a new fuel pump, filter, TB, Plugs, Wires, complete distributor, coil, IAC.

Fuel pump primes every time. 3/4 tank of fresh (weekish old fuel)

I do not have an OBD1 scan tool or a timing light. I was hoping someone would have experiences similar issues and could lead me to what it was without having to load it on a trailer and take it to a shop.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how old is your 02 sensor?

here's a great deal ..

AllStrobedUp

Reaction score
how old is your 02 sensor?

here's a great deal ..
It was replaced when I put new exhaust on it. Approximately 4 years ago. It is catless with true dual with Flowmaster 10's.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the EGR and MAP because it had not been done and would explain the vacuum/exhaust leak (which I know believe to be coming from the IAC passage on the TB).
Wild Guess: the IAC passage is "leaking" because the IAC is fully-open due to the engine running poorly. When the engine runs right, the IAC will close-up to achieve proper idle speed, and it won't sound so loud.

In other words...it's probably normal. I bet something else is wrong, the noise from the IAC passage is a symptom, not the actual problem.

When it was purchased I did a new fuel pump, filter, TB, Plugs, Wires, complete distributor, coil, IAC.
Doesn't mean that stuff is STILL functioning properly.

I do not have an OBD1 scan tool or a timing light.
I bet the timing light is available from a local parts-store "Loaner tool" program, along with a fuel pressure tester.

A REAL scan tool is now an "essential" item. Either buy, or borrow one. You need access to a decent tool.