94 TBI Bottom end on a 98 vortec top end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use the Vortec water pump and intake, the Vortec heads are a drop-on. You'll have to use a Vortec exhaust manifold and exhaust-to-intake tube to keep the EGR functional.

If you use the TBI water pump, you'll want to drill a hole in the Vortec head deck surface to align with the coolant bypass hole in the block. You'd only have to drill the head for the passenger side...but I'd drill both so it doesn't matter which head goes on the passenger side.

If you need the crank sensor, you'd have to swap timing covers, the reluctor on the crankshaft, and the torsional damper.

You'd have to make sure the pulleys of your accessory drive system aligned.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the parts mismatches are outlined here:

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you use the Vortec water pump and intake, the Vortec heads are a drop-on. You'll have to use a Vortec exhaust manifold and exhaust-to-intake tube to keep the EGR functional.

If you use the TBI water pump, you'll want to drill a hole in the Vortec head deck surface to align with the coolant bypass hole in the block. You'd only have to drill the head for the passenger side...but I'd drill both so it doesn't matter which head goes on the passenger side.

If you need the crank sensor, you'd have to swap timing covers, the reluctor on the crankshaft, and the torsional damper.

You'd have to make sure the pulleys of your accessory drive system aligned.
Thanks

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You’ll probably lose the roller cam unless you drill the TBI block for the roller cam