'94 Suburban 1500, steering wheel feels like gravel when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanguy426

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought a 94 Suburban a while back and just got around to replacing the fuel pump. First test drive was wonderful, except for the fact that the steering wheel feels like.....gravel, is the best description of it.

It feels like it would if you were parked with the key off, you turn the wheel, and it locks into position. It almost feels like it's trying to lock constantly when turning the wheel. It'll make a clicking noise like it's trying to lock, too. I must not be describing this properly as I couldn't find anything online that matches what's going on. It's bad enough I definitely don't want to leave my yard with it unless it's on a trailer.

Anyone have any clues? Steering column comes to mind obviously, but I'd rather have an idea of where I'm headed before I start tearing into things. (Maybe relevant?: Dash lights don't work at all (everything else does though). Haven't checked the fuse for the dash lights yet though, will update tomorrow when I check it)

Thanks!

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good choice not to drive it until you figure that out, don’t take chances with steering. Pretty hard to say from description, but if you think the issue is coming from the column there are a few things in the top of the column that could cause issues.
The upper column bearing and steering lock plate are separated by a spring that keeps them both in place and a bad bearing or improper assembly could potentially cause something similar to what you are saying. Make sure the bearing is ok and the plate under the steering wheel is not rubbing on anything. Also, the tilt coming loose is pretty common, but I don’t think I have seen one acting as bad as you describe. I think you are just going to have to dig in to see what you find.

ryanguy426

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's a video I just took of what's happening. Now that it's light out, it looks like something in the tilt column is catching the blinker stalk internally.

Gonna rent a steering wheel puller set from the local parts store in the next couple of days and update on what I find.

ryanguy426

Reaction score
Looks like the ring on the top is bigger than the column housing so good section is just sitting on top of it, and the turn signal cam is broken as well.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Someone was in here before me, hash marks were already etched into the wheel and shaft.

Is that ring replaceable? I can't find anything about it online that's especially useful... I found the turn signal cam online too, but it doesn't look like the one that's in there...

I'll get a picture of the cam assembly tomorrow.

Last edited:

ryanguy426

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update. Here's what it looks like with the lock plate cover, lockplate, and signal cam taken out, as well as all 3 parts laid out. Looks like the lockplate was scraping the inside of the cover, there's scratches everywhere inside of it...

https://imgur.com/a/0NM0uoh

The cam and lockplate sit perfectly in the column. Looks like the whole issue is the lockplate cover. I've seen two different styles of these covers in diagrams online, I'm thinking someone used the wrong cover?

Gonna be checking the junkyards soon hopefully. I should be able to get a good understanding of what's going on by comparing the other columns from other trucks, and get a new cover from there.