94 K1500 Front Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While looking the front end over the other day I saw my passenger side grease boot had finally gave up and grease had started to fly out.

I had replaced the drivers side right after I got the truck a couple years back with a reman GM one from Rock Auto. No longer available.

I'm seeing these things go from fifty something to three hundred something. After googling and looking at dozens of choices, I figured I would ask what are people having good luck with?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it was me, I got "used but usable" from the Treasure Yard.

Better a good used item than a brand-new Communist Chinese knockoff.

Depending on how worn the joint is, you might be able to find a Boot Kit, and clean, re-grease, and re-boot the thing yourself. Replacing outer boots used to be good work on everything except Hondas. Once the joint was off the shaft, it was easy money to clean, grease, and cram another boot in place. Especially if your boot kit had Oetiker pinch-to-tighten clamps instead of the kind that need a special tool to tighten and fold-over the steel strap. Inner boots took more work; and Hondas were a total bytchh because they didn't use a tapered groove for the retaining ring. Had to beat the livin' piiss out of them to get the joint off of the shaft.

Seems to me that boot kits are getting hard to come by. Everyone wants to cram a crappy "new" CV shaft in place.

Last edited: