94 K1500 Frame Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redduc1199

Reaction score
New to the forum. My truck has been sitting in my driveway for 3 years after it failed Pennsylvania state inspection for rust. The rust failure was at the radiator core support. I should have fixed it then but with a kid and a kid on the way it was easier just to park it.
Fast forward to today I want my good truck back. If I fix it, it will be a snowball effect. It’s got 367k on it so she’s tired. The truck doesn’t owe me anything, I owe it for sure.
I crawled under it this morning just to look at the frame. (I know the spare tire carrier needs some love. The last time I put a fuel pump in it the bed was off. I ignored the rust and put the bed on). I took a hammer to the frame on both sides front to back and it sounds solid. However I did find some rust jacking and deterioration on the passenger side frame rail where the C-channel meets the boxed section of the frame. Basically directly below the fire wall. Once the weather breaks here in PA I was going to remove the bed and front fenders to look at the frame better. Since I found this today I’m wondering if it’s worth finding a good frame or repairing this one?? Again, from crawling under it today the rest of the frame appears solid I only noticed this problem area but I definitely need to look at it closer. Here’s some pictures of the section I’m referring too. Let me know what you guys think.
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Well, the 'farmer repair' in me says just throw some angle iron and 7018 welding rods at it and drive it. BUT... two kids, a wife, and your a new member here so we don't know your abilities leads me to advise you to take it to a pro shop for repairs.

Yes it is repairable, a new frame is ideal but if that is the only spot in the frame that is damaged, bring it in somewhere and give them about $1000 to do it right.

Redduc1199

Reaction score
I’m assuming I’ll find other spots but hopefully nothing major. The frame is definitely not trashed compared to a lot of other frames I’ve seen researching the trucks. I’m an Ag mechanic so the 7018 rods were my first thought but if
I’m going to fix the truck it’s basically going to be a restoration. Time will tell when I take the bed and front fenders off. The wife asked I mean said either fix it or get it out of the driveway.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you repair the frame, will it pass inspection? Some people freak out when they see frame repair.

Redduc1199

Reaction score
If the frame is repaired and repaired correctly, then painted it should be done better than the factory. I don’t see a legitimate reasons of how they could fail it. That’s just my $0.02.
If I repair the truck it will be better than any over priced truck sitting on a dealer lot.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your ok fixing it but I’d prefer a non-repaired frame.
Edit: just looked at my post and not sure why it previously ended with “I’ve repaired a frame”. To be clear I’ve never repaired a frame! Lol

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weather breaking in PA? LOL! I'm from NEPA. What part of PA are you from? As for the rust, that's repairable. I'd take the cab off (or at least raise it up a few inches) so as to get a stick welder up in there.

To set your mind at ease a bit, I had an 05 Silverado. After 6 years of ownership, everything aft of the fuel tank needed either repairing or replacement. I probably spend more than half what the truck was worth in parts (let alone my own labor) to fix it, but it was pristine afterwards. It passed inspection no problem. Next winter came along and sure enough, the front half needed the same thing. The transmission went at the same time and idiot me gave up and scrapped it.

Again, yours is definitely fixable.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the frame is repaired and repaired correctly, then painted it should be done better than the factory. I don’t see a legitimate reasons of how they could fail it. That’s just my $0.02.
If I repair the truck it will be better than any over priced truck sitting on a dealer lot.
While I agree with you, it is just something to look in to. It would suck to do all of the work, then fail inspection anyways.

Redduc1199

Reaction score
I’m in south central (Hershey) and yes my plan is to take the bed off front fenders and radiator support out of the truck and really look it over. The cab will probably just lift off because the rubber mounts are gone at this point. My neighbor has an auto body shop but if it’s going to be $1000 to fix the frame I’ll try to find a used frame. I have a 2000 1500 Silverado and 2003 2500HD both of those frames I’ve taken care of with chassis saver since I’ve owned both the trucks. This truck I just hammered for years without much love.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are going to pull the cab anyway, you have a much better chance of repairing it.
Just easier to deal with.
I dont think that taking this to a welding shop will work out for you.
No legit welding shop will touch that thing.
If it were just me, and when I was young, I would cut back all the rot and wrap the outside with bent plate and box the inside.
With a wife and kids?
No way would I do that.
You cant weld rust. It just doesnt work.
By the time you cut that back to clean steel, you wont have anything left to weld to.
I would jack it up, span that frame gap with some steel just so the truck doesnt snap in half.
And look for at least a new frame quarter if not a full frame.
I cant believe what you guys put up with and still drive these trucks.
We dont have rust in Washington.
We also dont have inspections.
Up here that kind of rust would be an event.
We would call each other and gather beer just to see it.