93 K2500 Suburban 454 Holley Sniper Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be glad you're not building a Y-block Ford. You'd be counting the links in the timing chain. If you're lucky, the timing chain has two links the correct number apart that are colored differently.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Day 3, it rips. It squeals the rear leaving a stop now turning at part throttle, never did that before. At least I know the gov-lok is still functioning.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we're on the same page, just reading it differently. I even made a video this afternoon to help visualize it. Posting it for others who might not understand it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removed factory muffler and cat. They were cracked and leaking badly. When I get the headers installed I'll run dual cats. For now, a single summit straight thru 3 inch and 4 ft of 3 inch pipe connecting to factory side exit with 3 band style clamps. It picked up a TON of power. That was the easist power to get. Milwalkee battery sawzall went through it like butter. I have to reflash the base and start over on the learning as it is lean every where. It feels as quick as my cammed and tuned 5.3 LS Suburban. Sound is awesome. Good thing I live out in the woods.

You must be registered for see images attach

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decided before I hook up the laptop (the can usb cable is in the racecar I can borrow) that I want to clear the tune and start from the initial tune. Wow, it was 45% lean on fueling. Runs even better now. I'll let it go another few drives to learn, then I'll bring it up on the laptop, transfer learning to base, then smooth any cells it didn't learn on as well. Low compression L19 with cam, springs, intake, exhaust and tune, it's way more powerful and responsive! I'd do it again.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I wiped a lobe. Gonna pull the valve cover and hope I forgot to tighten a rocker/guideplate down...

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I wiped a lobe. Gonna pull the valve cover and hope I forgot to tighten a rocker/guideplate down...
Oh no, hope everything is okay in there. Really neat project and great notes! I've been thinking of doing this myself so it's good to see it done and be worth it in the end.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
#2 intake either has wiped lobe or failed lifter. Lifter retainer parts appear to be there intact, and about 20 thou gap. She's loose, the rest of the rockers preload is good. All I can think of is debris fell on that lobe during the install as the intake took a couple weeks to get on and I just had a piece of cardboard over the valley...

Going to throw in a roller that can use the springs I put in.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Round #2. Gonna try a slightly smaller flat tappet cam as far as duration goes with a hair 0.004 more lift. It's way cheaper than converting to roller.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Round #2. Gonna try a slightly smaller flat tappet cam as far as duration goes with a hair 0.004 more lift. It's way cheaper than converting to roller.
IS it cheaper?

You've already wiped one flat-tappet cam, and your parts list shows you're about to blow over a hundred and thirty dollars just on two oil changes. And those oil changes are likely to continue to be expensive 'cause "everyone" with a flat-tappet cam needs "special" oil to keep them alive.

"I" would drop that flat-tappet cam like a broken rubber. In fact, I did on my 454 boat engine after a flat-tappet cam failed on break-in. BBC engines are prone to flat-tappet cam failures. Chevy wasn't real accurate when they bored the lifter holes in the block.

I got a mild STEP-NOSE (Gen 6 style) roller cam, retro-fit hydraulic roller lifters, the Gen 6 timing set which comes with the thrust plate and all the hardware, and pushrods to suit. That's the end of "special" oil, "zink" additives, and the end of flat-tappet lobe 'n' lifter problems for the life of the engine. You're back to popular-use oil, and good ol' Wix-made filters. (Wix, NAPA, CarQuest, etc.)

Last edited: