91 chevy rebuild/mod thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studbeefcake

Reaction score
This seems like a good place to keep track while at the same time asking some questions. If not someone please move the thread to the appropriate forum for me.

So I have a 91 c1500 extended cab that is my truck, I have a 97 c1500 extended cab that was totalled in a front end collision that is my parts truck.

Some progress I have already made is the wheels and tires and rear bumper and reese hitch have already been moved to my truck.

My current project is to take the entire axle, drums and leaf springs out of the 97 and into my truck. I hit a snag trying to get the parking brake cables disconnected.

So I ask you guys, what is the best way to remove the entire axle from that truck and swap into mine?

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Best way i would think is if your taking the leafs too... i would unbolt the hanger and the front of the leafs.. Take everything out as a unit. Also, just disconect your brake lines at the "t" ontop of the pumkin of the axle. For your ebrake, i would just open up the drume brake and disconnect it there... or go under the cab it take the little clip off. That way you could reconnect it back at the same place.

studbeefcake

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, here's what I did today. I was following the hanes manual and it said to remove the adjuster nut on the equalizer for the parking brake cable. I ran it all the way up thinking that it would come off that way (I wasn't thinking right at the time) and I realized that now I have to thread it all the way back the other way so I decided to pack it in for today and revisit it tomorrow.

So what yall saying is that I can simply disconnect that little connector that is under the cab? How do I do that?

And BTW pics will come. My truck is not all that pretty right now, its blue, silver, primer, rust and yellow. Lol

studbeefcake

Reaction score
Hey guys, I decided to wash the truck today and get it cleaned out a little in preparation for the work I will be doing to it over the next few weeks

Here's a pic of it after the wash. Those are the 97s wheels and tires. He had just bought brand new michelins
You must be registered for see images attach

And here is the donor truck. I have ripped it apart a little more since that picture but you get the idea

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I like the wheels on that truck- that style always looks good on these. Looks like a good slate to get started on.

studbeefcake

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry I haven't checked in with any updates, I had a family wedding and have been splitting my time between work and the axle project. I ordered Monroe reflex shocks and bell tech 2 inch lowering spring shackles, the new axle and springs are now attached to the truck I just have to reattach the driveshaft, brake lines, and parking brake cable.

Not too many pictures of the progress but I will get a few before I'm done of all the new parts installed.

BTW if anybody wants a 3.42 open diff with leaf springs and everything let me know. It is leaking fluid for some reason but it is other wise in fine shape. I will give a good price I just don't need it anymore

studbeefcake

Reaction score
The axle project is done finally! Sunday I got some help and wrapped it all up.

The truck now rides extremely well and no longer squats when hooked to my dads trailer, im honestly not sure how much of that is the new shocks or the new leaf springs but either way it is much happier now. The 3.73 gives it a noticeable increase in off the line power, however I need to adjust my speedometer to really know for sure how much it has changed.

Me and my dad followed these instructions to recalibrate the speedo, I have to reinstall it tomorrow to see if it worked.
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258562/

The lowering shackles also did exactly what I wanted, Here is a before and after comparison

Today I removed and sold the 4l60e transmission so that will replenish all that I have spent out of the truck fund recently, soon I will be pulling the vortec out and placing it on a stand for Assembly.