91' Chevy K1500 valve guide seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glenn57

Reaction score
I just bought the truck, and the guy told me the only thing that was wrong with it was the valve guide seals, so i thought alright, no big deal. So, now my problem is, i dont know what size to get, or what are the best kind to get. It's a 91' Chevy k-1500 regular cab, stepside

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
You're probably needing umbrella seals since they cover the valve guides. heres a summit link to them. these are what i used on my heads.
http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/slp-mv-1888/overview/make/chevrolet
All you gotta do is take the valve springs off, make sure there isnt a burr on the valve, its a good idea to get a fine file and go around the valve a few times. youll need new o-rings too. and then you press them onto the end.

glenn57

Reaction score
everything on the truck is stock besides the radio i just installed. it dosnt burn oil, but it smokes like crazy when ideling, but in gear, going, its fine

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First sign that your seal are gone is a puff of blue smoke when you first start it. It should not smoke when idling. If it is "smoking like crazy" at idle, you've got bigger problems than valve seals.

99'Yukon

Reaction score
everything on the truck is stock besides the radio i just installed. it dosnt burn oil, but it smokes like crazy when ideling, but in gear, going, its fine

Sounds like a case of broken or damaged piston rings if consistantly smoking while running and hot. Bad valve stem seals or o-rings will leak down oil(say overnight after you turn the truck off) and when cranked next will burn off the residual oil gathered inside the cylinder causing a few puffs of blue smoke until burned off like OlSmokie said. Do a compression test on all cylinders and I guarantee you'll find your problem. If you see anything under 100psi things could be getting hairy...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sounds like a case of broken or damaged piston rings if consistantly smoking while running and hot. Bad valve stem seals or o-rings will leak down oil(say overnight after you turn the truck off) and when cranked next will burn off the residual oil gathered inside the cylinder causing a few puffs of blue smoke until burned off like OlSmokie said. Do a compression test on all cylinders and I guarantee you'll find your problem. If you see anything under 100psi things could be getting hairy...

You must be registered for see images attach