90 grille on 94+bumper mount question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does anybody know if the bumper mounts on a 89-93 are different than a 94, also does the filler pieces on the bottom of the fenders interchange throughout 89-98

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This general subject is one that gets asked about so often it should be a sticky. Usually the question is regarding swapping an 88-93 grille to 94-98. Yes, there are many different parts. Yes, people have hacked it with mix/match parts and "made it work" but it doesn't look/work quite right.

Either generation of grille has its own bumper filler strip, fender corner fillers, bumper brackets (all 4; I used to just think it was the middle 2 but it is indeed all 4), park lamps, corner marker lamps. (The lamps comment refers to the upper-level trim grilles, not the 2 sealed beam headlight base model/work truck stuff...and as many know, Chevy and GMC corner markers are different.)

And to take it even further, there are differences in the core supports as several years of the early trucks don't have the slots for the 94-98 filler strip "hooks", as well as not having the punched holes for the push nuts for the screws that retain the filler strip. This varies from year to year. If you're lucky, your early core support will have the slots and the punched holes, though you'll need to move/replace some of the push nuts so they're in the correct locations.

So in other words, get all the parts mentioned if you want the job to go well, and be aware you may still need to modify (or replace) your core support depending on year.

All that aside, your questions in the post don't exactly match the title of the post. The 90 grille will work with 94-98 bumper brackets, but there will be a noticeably larger gap between the grille filler and the bumper. Change to the brackets and all other associated parts mentioned for it to fit/look correct.

Richard

Last edited:

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This general subject is one that gets asked about so often it should be a sticky. Usually the question is regarding swapping an 88-93 grille to 94-98. Yes, there are many different parts. Yes, people have hacked it with mix/match parts and "made it work" but it doesn't look/work quite right.

Either generation of grille has its own bumper filler strip, fender corner fillers, bumper brackets (all 4; I used to just think it was the middle 2 but it is indeed all 4), park lamps, corner marker lamps. (The lamps comment refers to the upper-level trim grilles, not the 2 sealed beam headlight base model/work truck stuff...and as many know, Chevy and GMC corner markers are different.)

And to take it even further, there are differences in the core supports as several years of the early trucks don't have the slots for the 94-98 filler strip "hooks", as well as not having the punched holes for the push nuts for the screws that retain the filler strip. This varies from year to year. If you're lucky, your early core support will have the slots and the punched holes, though you'll need to move/replace some of the push nuts so they're in the correct locations.

So in other words, get all the parts mentioned if you want the job to go well, and be aware you may still need to modify (or replace) your core support depending on year.

All that aside, your questions in the post don't exactly match the title of the post. The 90 grille will work with 94-98 bumper brackets, but there will be a noticeably larger gap between the grille filler and the bumper. Change to the brackets and all other associated parts mentioned for it to fit/look correct.

Richard
My truck is a 94 W/T. It came with the wt front end. This is the picture when i first got it. Since then i changed the grille but it wasnt fitting right. I then found out it was some aftermarket type of grille with no emblem recess. Now do i NEED to change the core support to make a 90’ grille look like it belongs there, also in the last part of the bumper gap you mentioned that is exactly what i was trying to ask as when i swapped it it was about a 3 inch gap in between the filler and the bumper

Attachments

• 96E1D88A-19CD-426E-ADE2-864D62A55995.jpeg
    96E1D88A-19CD-426E-ADE2-864D62A55995.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 15

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No on the core support. That was just being "complete" in case of someone wanting to do the typical 88-93 to 94-98 swap; the very early trucks would need minor hacking or replacement of the core support.

For a 90 style grille to work correctly on your 94 you need from an 88-93: all 4 bumper brackets, filler strip, fender corner fillers, and of couse the correct park lamps and in your case headlights and changes to the headlight harness as well but it sounds like you've already got that far, just trying to solve the bumper gap which is due to the brackets.

Richard

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No on the core support. That was just being "complete" in case of someone wanting to do the typical 88-93 to 94-98 swap; the very early trucks would need minor hackingu or replacement of the core support.

For a 90 style grille to work correctly on your 94 you need from an 88-93: all 4 bumper brackets, filler strip, fender corner fillers, and of couse the correct park lamps and in your case headlights and changes to the headlight harness as well but it sounds like you've already got that far, just trying to solve the bumper gap which is due to the brackets.

Richard
Will do, any idea how long it would take to replace the fenders and hood on an obs and if the body lines are adjustable? Parts are coming off of an 89 and going on a 94.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fender corner fillers, bumper brackets (all 4; I used to just think it was the middle 2 but it is indeed all 4)
Good info. Just ordered a set of 88-93 corner fillers. Can’t find 88-93 outer brackets though.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree 100% this needs to be stickied. I was just searching for this info. There is ALOT of information out there and it all varies.

This is the most comprehensive information iv seen. I too want to go backwards. I have a 94 silverado and want to put a 88-93 grill on my truck. After reading this I now know that I will indeed need the Grille (obviously), bowtie, all three filler pieces, all brackets all four corner lights and the bottom parking lights. Thanks Someotherguy.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree 100% this needs to be stickied. I was just searching for this info. There is ALOT of information out there and it all varies.

This is the most comprehensive information iv seen. I too want to go backwards. I have a 94 silverado and want to put a 88-93 grill on my truck. After reading this I now know that I will indeed need the Grille (obviously), bowtie, all three filler pieces, all brackets all four corner lights and the bottom parking lights. Thanks Someotherguy.
One of the years require black spacer pieces, don’t know which one or the park lights wont fit.