89 Chevy C1500 Street\Strip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delfco1

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought an 89 Chevy truck from a friend. I drove it stock for a long time till the carpet started to smell...so I ripped it out. Then I realized how easy the seat was to remove. I didn't like the torn up bench seat so I planned on replacing it. That same night I saw a video of a Pre-Runner on the Baja 1000. That's what I wanted to build but it didn't seam possible to race it. Soon after, I decided to look at the local drag strip; San Antonio Raceway. I would build a drag truck. It started off simple, just throw some power adders in the truck but leave it alone otherwise. Then a tire shop that I also buy fishing equipment and groceries at that shall remain nameless, "forgot" to tighten my lug nuts all the way and my driver front tire fell off on a dirt road. The truck was fine but the finder was damaged. A trip to Pick-n-Pull and 35 dollars later I had the entire front clip torn down. I didn't like the way the wiring looked after who know how many hands have been messing with them over the past 25 years. I rewired the whole front clip. The truck was no longer running EFI or even a ECU; there were unused wires every where. I slowly started cutting back the wires not attached to anything. I ended up removing 3/4 of the wiring under the hood. This got me thinking of how much weight all of this unused wire was just sitting in the truck.

My son was born shortly after this so my truck was pushed beside the house and stayed there for about a year. The registration expired and the truck was only used to pull tree stumps and idle every once and a while so it didn't just rot. During one of these runnings I noticed a pool of coolant in the passenger foot well. My heater core was leaking. I removed the dash and finally got the answer to my wiring conundrum. There was about a 1-1/2 in bundle of wiring of which about 8 were being used. So I gutted everything out of the cab and removed the bed. Every inch of wire was removed and I wired the bare minimum. Instead of using the factory dash switches I decided to make my own switch panel.

Christmas brought me a new Edelbrock carb and bucket seats. My son is now 2. And the truck is just now to the point where I can drive it without worrying about something not working correctly. My hopes are to reach an ET in the 11's(I don't care if its 11.99). The truck is not complete but its close. And that bring us up to date mostly. A few rattle can paint jobs in between but here she is as of this weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach