89 c2500 to k2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little backstory here, dad bought the truck in 94. It’s a 89 c2500 they had a service body on it. We swapped out to a regular 8ft bed right away. Now it’s 2020 and I want to swap to 4x4. Looking at getting a rolling k2500 frame and swapping body over. Only thing I’m not sure on is the wiring for the 4x4. I’m looking to ls swap at the same time for ease. Looking at a 5.3/60e. However can I run a hd transfer case behind a 60e? I’d like to get my ducks in a row before I tear into it.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to be doing an LS swap then you will have plenty to sort out on the wiring front. Most of the wiring is going to transfer over from the Engine and transmission anyway. I would try and find the donor frame from a later model truck so you have the actuator that is similar to the later model style. I don't remember what year they changed. Or if you only have the earlier frame then you could swap the front differential or even just the passenger tube (I think).

Wiring shouldn't be that hard, but it will depend on if you use a manual transfer case or electric. (there is more than one option for electric) to determine how difficult the wiring will be. Personally I would try and use a manual transfer case. If you use a np 261 or 263 make sure you install the pump rub kit. They tend to leak because a component wears through the casing. They are magnesium and if you try and weld it things may get exciting really quick... So while it is out fix it first.

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to be doing an LS swap then you will have plenty to sort out on the wiring front. Most of the wiring is going to transfer over from the Engine and transmission anyway. I would try and find the donor frame from a later model truck so you have the actuator that is similar to the later model style. I don't remember what year they changed. Or if you only have the earlier frame then you could swap the front differential or even just the passenger tube (I think).

Wiring shouldn't be that hard, but it will depend on if you use a manual transfer case or electric. (there is more than one option for electric) to determine how difficult the wiring will be. Personally I would try and use a manual transfer case. If you use a np 261 or 263 make sure you install the pump rub kit. They tend to leak because a component wears through the casing. They are magnesium and if you try and weld it things may get exciting really quick... So while it is out fix it first.

Manual t case for sure. I’m going for a stand alone engine/trans harness so I would just need to figure the vss wiring and the front diff actuator wiring.