88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Received the GMPP timing set and ARP head studs today. My dad is giving me a Edelbrock Performer RPM dual plane manifold, so that will save a few $$. Have a few other parts to get ordered up, gaskets, heads, TBI rebuild kit, and TBI adapter.

This weekend the truck is getting the motor and trans pulled. Trans needs a rebuild while we are at it.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Welp, didn't get quite enough motivation to pull the motor and trans, I did however do a bunch of other stuff.

Dad gave me an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold he had. It's a squarebore so I ordered an adapter for it. Overall cheaper than buying a manifold outright.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yesterday I pulled the heads and dis-assembled the TBI, and today I spent the afternoon sandblasting lots of parts and pieces. After pulling the heads, then cleaning.

Mercruiser cam, installed with Gen VI thrust retainer, and installed ZZ502 timing set.

Manifold and TBI sandblasted

While I was cleaning, Dad decided to remove the lump from the emissions ports. Figured since I'm running the manifolds they should flow somewhat decently.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Another batch of parts arrived!

Factory take out Gen VI 454 Roller setup. I won't be running this cam, it's a stock L29 Vortec cam.

454 Roller lifter VS Flat Tappet lifter.

Roller lifters installed with dogbones

Retaining plate

Comparison of Gen V and Gen VI pushrod guides. The Gen VI ones are labeled "Hi Perf" which makes me considerably giddy.

I also sent off the engine specs to TBICHIPS to get the custom chip process started.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Still waiting on the heads to show up next week, so i'm trying to get all the little details worked out now while i have time. One of the details that has been driving me crazy is the passenger side accessory bracket. The donor was a non-A/C truck so it had a dummy pulley. I'm going to retain A/C in my truck. I've been searching for weeks to try and find a bracket locally (or one online cheap) and haven't had much luck. In my searches I did find this

Adapters from Kwik Performance. They utilize the aluminum 2-piece brackets GM used on 90-94 smallblock and V6 motors. After being unable to find the 454 bracket, I went to the junkyard and snagged up these.

The right one is driver's side alternator and power steering pump bracket. The two left are different variations of the passenger side bracket. The middle is A/C only, left is A/C and Smog pump. Why on earth did I buy a smog pump bracket?

No, i'm not running a smog pump. It is the perfect location for a second alternator. After thinking about it and considering I have a spare, I figured why not? It will be isolated from the main electrical system. The idea is it will run a few accessories, primarily a 110V inverter, and be wired to charge the trailer while driving. The inverter will be able to power tools and such, as well as a 110V air compressor that I have.

Took a bit of grinding and cutting, but here is the result. I'm not 100% sold on it's position yet, as there is another alternator clocking out there that might look better?!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Motor and Trans go bye bye.

Also did a bit of porting between the TBI adapter and manifold. Tried to smooth things out.

Goals this week are to finish sand blasting/painting parts for prep, clean up the engine bay, figure out the wiring harness and rebuild the NV4500.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
No joke, sandblasting really does wonders. Just glad I have the option to do it.

--------------------------

So, last week I received more parts.... And one was missing. Turns out the head company didn't ship one of my heads. So I'm waiting on that. No huge deal, still had more things left to do.

End of the week I started cleaning up and painting things.

Over the weekend I did a lot of work. Got the NV4500 rebuilt first thing, then worked on more go fast. Started with shaving the throttle shafts and rebuilt the TBI.

Comparing the TBI peanut ports to the Vortec heads.

Getting the heads installed with ARP bolts.

While all this was going on, my dad took over painting the valve covers for me. They are black, with the small ribs raw sandblasted aluminum and large ones polished and everything cleared. The raw sandblasted stuff turns grey when painted, as more obviously shown on the intake manifold.

I decided I had to do a teaser mockup as well.

After thinking about everything, I realized this emblem is quite perfect for the covers. I need to get another one and epoxy them on...

The rest of the parts should be here over the next few days, and my plan is to put it together and fire it off this weekend.