88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Have had a busy week! Lots of things going on at work, and on the project front for me.

Well, the answer to my motor swap came a bit quicker than expected....

Motor came into a friend's junkyard.... 1990 TBI 454 with 76k on it. Motor compression tested 160PSI in all cylinders. It'll be pulled soon and will be going into the 88 in a few weeks. Along with that the transmission is getting a freshening up, and new exhaust will be in the works as well.

I did do a bit of work on it. Saturday I pulled the pinion & carrier and put new bearings in it. Super easy job, had everything apart in 30 mins. :D After re-installing, I gutted the passenger door and put a new door on the truck. Color is a bit more faded, but it's better than dented.
You must be registered for see images attach

I also picked up another project this weekend.... 3 Suzuki LT250R quads, complete with a metric ton of spare parts.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
truck looks great as always, the door doesnt look to bad on there, a nice polish might bring a lil shine back to that and get it a lil closer, fix that cab corner and be all good

really needs bigger tires back on it though, makes those tires look tiny on there

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
It's time. Well, almost time.

Picked it up last Sunday. Well, actually pulled it, but yeah. 1990 Chassis Cab 454 TBI with 76k on it. I even got to drive the donor truck. Looks a little rough, but it was actually spotless inside and the motor was WELL taken care of. Fluids looks proper, and the filters were all wix brand. Here she is. I have the motor with all the accessories, harness, ECM, 34" radiator and shroud.

While I was up at the yard the tires got switched around. 35s are back in place, now she looks proper again.

And put the 6-lug Racelines on the 285/75R16 Cooper ST, likely will be going on the yellow truck tonight.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Just a bit of an update. Had a party this past weekend, haven't done much in the way of truck work. I have been researching on it though.

Turns out, the motor isn't what I thought it was. Being the truck was a 1990, it has the steel accessory brackets, spreadbore intake and TBI adapter, but should have had stamped steel valve covers.... A 1990 was a Mark IV motor.

The aluminum covers threw me. So after pulling a valve cover, researching the casting numbers on the heads and block it turns out this a a Gen IV L19 service replacement block. Which means it has a good deal less than the 76k miles than the truck actually had. It also explains why the motor was so clean.....

This is not a bad thing. :D Been looking into swapping heads to a smaller chamber to up the compression along with a cam and intake, and some fuel changes. Should put me right around the 400HP mark.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I have a couple questions about this conversion...since I do have a lead on a 4x4 burb donor im seriously kicking around the idea of doing the sas thing to my truck.

Is the crossover steering absolutely needed or can I use thr donor burbs original steering system for now?

Also is it possible to have less then 8" of lift? Like say 4-5"?

What Im most likely gonna do if I do go sas is use as much as I can from the burb such as the steering, springs, shackle hangers, and the transfer case of course. Most likely the wheels for now as well since my current rims wouldnt work with the hubs in the front lol.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2