88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Be really careful with those I have had then fail on me. BTW badass truck!
I've ran them for years, no problems with them. Only thing I've heard is them splitting from using impact

I have a couple questions about this conversion...since I do have a lead on a 4x4 burb donor im seriously kicking around the idea of doing the sas thing to my truck.

Is the crossover steering absolutely needed or can I use thr donor burbs original steering system for now?

Also is it possible to have less then 8" of lift? Like say 4-5"?

What Im most likely gonna do if I do go sas is use as much as I can from the burb such as the steering, springs, shackle hangers, and the transfer case of course. Most likely the wheels for now as well since my current rims wouldnt work with the hubs in the front lol.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2
You have to run crossover, it's the only way unless you try swapping steering boxes or something that wouldn't be worth doing. That means unless it's a 76 or older axle you'll need a passenger flat top knuckle. As far as height, I would be reluctant to go much less, maybe 6" at min. The problem is with the way this frame hangs down. Right now with my lift I only have about 4.5" of uptravel, which isn't much imo.

There is a thread of mine showing that build. I did things right while staying bugeted as possible, don't expect to get out of a sas under a realistic 2k. I didn't do gears, lockers or anything fancy with mine, and it still cost a good deal.

-------------

Lol I need to fix that typo. It is a Gen VI block. I haven't pulled the manifold to see if it's roller yet, but it is ready for it if not.

Stock it's 8.2 compression, I'd like to see it around 9.2.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck getting a 1990 computer properly tuned for a head/cam swap. Carb or don't do it.

Nice to see you keeping at it, hows the trailer rebuild coming?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
It's possible, looking into a few things on that front as well. I'm considering going with the edelbrock cam and intake that atte compatible with the comp. If much more I know I'll need a chip burnt, or an ecm swap. I refuse to go carb.

trailer has sat. Thinking about extending the frame on it ands making a flat deck up front for the quads.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Started some teardown tonight. Ran the casting number and date code, looks like it was cast February 14, 1996.

You must be registered for see images attach

Some of the stuff that a Gen V / Gen VI block have. Aluminum valve covers, non-adjustable rockers, unique heads, revised cooling, revised oiling system, dedicated oil cooler ports, one piece rear main, and a 4-bolt main.

And the stuff that only Gen V blocks have. Mech fuel pump provision (gen V lost them), redesigned lifter valley with provisions for a roller cam, and a aluminum timing cover.

Been researching and I think I need to find a set of 96+ Vortec heads.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how hard was it fitting the tow mirrors or were they bolt on? They are off a newer truck i presume?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
No pictures, but I have some news.

I got a killer deal on a never ran takeout roller cam and lifter setup from a vortec motor. $115. I could not pass that up. All the hardware to make this a roller. Then found never ran GMPP Mercruiser cam for $35. Picked up ARP head bolts for $45 and a GMPP zz502 timing set for $48.

So the plan is now run the mercruiser roller cam, it looks like it will pair nicely with the powerband I want. The mercruiser motors made a good deal over 300HP with vortec heads. I found a few sets just haven't pulled the trigger on them yet. Sort of waiting on funds at the moment.