88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I'll have to start this off with saying it was quite possibly the most horrible, frustrating and disappointing end of week/weekend I think I have ever had.

Thursday
Was very tired, due to a long night after winning at darts followed by homework and studying. I spent the day at work and studying when I had time. Took my physics exam and had my a** handed to me. Disappointed, I went home and got things ready for camping while it was still light outside. Upon cleaning and de-winterizing the trailer, I found that it had been leaking in the back corner, and the plywood is soaked and molding. Slightly agitated. After that was said and done, I began studying once again for two exams Friday morning.

Friday
Around 2am I stopped studying, and while my mind was mush I was wired and not sleepy at all. So I headed down to the river with Devin for a bit of venting/BSing. Ended up getting home around 5am, slept 2 hours then went to class and rocked both tests. Stopped and filled the 99 up with #2 at 3.95/gallon and finished packing for the trip. Here is where things went awry.

I'm just backing the truck up to the trailer, and the maintenance guy come to do their semi-annual inspection on the house. I meet him in the driveway and ask if he's here for the inspection, and tell him I will put the dog outside (so he's not bothering him during it). So, I go to get inside, and without any warning Diesel (my dog) wedges himself in the jamb, flings the door open and bolts towards the guy. I'm right behind him, as he grabs the guy's forearm, and within a second I get him off and back into the house. Immediately I go to the guy, apologetic and help him get his sweatshirt off. His arm is already bruising, and has two punctures in it. I ask him if he wants anything, and am apologizing like a madman. I get him a towel and he tells me it's fine, he's not upset, etc. So we get the other maintenance guy (who's nextdoor) and he goes to the hospital.

So, at this point I'm freaking out myself. Diesel knows something is wrong as he is hiding in the corner of the room. I sit down awhile, and process what just happened. He has never been aggressive to anyone in the past. He's always barked when people come up to the door or in the driveway, so I'm not entirely sure what prompted something like this. Once I get my bearings about me, I call the rental director and she's just as surprised as I am, as she knows the dog and has seen him since he was a puppy.

So, I finish hooking the trailer up, etc, and do a few things inside. I go outside to start the truck and leave, and the Sheriff was just about to knock on my door. He came over to ask me what happened, I explained. I tell him that I have decided that as much as I love my dog I'm not morally able to keep him now. He understands, and tells me that he will not be filing criminal charges against me and has ruled this an accident. I'm relived of this seeing as had he filed charges, it would have been a class C felony. He also informs me that my dog is now considered a "dangerous dog" and there is insurance and a bunch of laws on how he is supposed to be crated/restrained literally all the time. I thank him for everything, and he leaves.

So, I get the truck warmed up, and hit the road for a very long overdue camping trip, and the first trip with the towpig. Get out of town to the highway and am enjoying everything, it's warm and sunny, cruise is set at 65. The truck is towing great, plenty of oomph to get it up hills. About 30 miles into my drive I'm cresting a hill and the truck gains speed. So I tap the brakes to kill the cruise control. Nothing. At this point I'm doing about 75MPH and it's wanting to climb. So, I flick the cruise switch off, still nothing. I press the clutch in, and the truck instantly shoots from around 2,000 RPMs to about 3,500 RPMs, and would have kept going had I not released the clutch. I think WTF, the electronic throttle failed on me.. try pressing it down, nothing still. The Service Throttle Soon light is not on either. So I hit the brakes to slow me down as I'm doing a good 85MPH at this point. I decided I'm obviously going to find a place to pull off the road. So riding the brakes, I at this point turn my attention away from the IP cluster and towards the roadside, and notice in my passenger mirror the truck is billowing black, thick smoke. I'm trying to think whats going on, and determine SOMETHING is dumping fuel into the motor as it's still trying to climb in speed and has plenty of pull to it. After a mile or so, I find a nice, large area, turn the key off and roll into it.

I try starting the truck again, instant rev. I disconnect the throttle and pull the cruise fuse, try it, instant rev. The exhaust side of the turbo is cooking, I check the fluids and everything is still normal. So I gave Devin a call. He does a few keyboard clicks and tells me there is a D-tech PMD issue with runaways, and a possible sticking in the IP pump. So, seeing as I have a spare PMD already, I decide that is the first course of action.... but no, the PMD didn't make it into the toolbag. I ask Devin if he could bring me the PMD and is it didn't work, tow the trailer back to the house. He says ok.

You must be registered for see images attach

While waiting for him, a CCLB duramax with a Bradford flatbed pulls up. I walk over, and greet the guy. I ask if it's his property and he says yes, and I explain what was going on. I tell him what I checked and he agrees that it's the PMD or IP pump. I ask if leaving the truck there would be ok if I can't get it running and he says it's fine. He asks if i have tools, I said yea, he says if I need anything the shop is over there and feel free. I tell him the trailer would be gone at the least, and I'd have to do a bit of searching to get a trailer to tow the truck back on. He says, well, here is my number, If you need a trailer you can borrow mine. I thank him and he's on his way. I shoot Devin a text and tell him I obtained use of a trailer if needed. Little time goes by, and he shows driving his 83 and his friend Krystal driving his 07, just in case we need to tow it. We swap on the PMD, and it fires right up normally. Thank Devin and Krystal and give him some money for fuel.

So, On the road about 2 hours later than I wanted. Whatever. I have no issues at all the rest of the trip, and make it to the dunes in the dark. Truck pulled great, and the temp only increased slightly when pulling longer hills. It ran at about 185 on the flat and 195 up hills. Friday night was ensued by a fire and drinking.

Saturday
Had a lazy day, installed the compass/temp unit into the OH console. Nothing exciting to report, except the pictures of camping.

Sunday
We end up cutting the trip short, since one of the guys with us started getting a fever. So, we head back.

Truck is again doing fine. Towing great, even through the hills, etc. About half way home, going down a hill, the low coolant light flickers. A mile or two later, it comes on and stays on. So, I pull over. I've noticed the truck using coolant, and it used another full reservoir in about 400-500 miles or so. I fill it up, and check again to find the oil is still oil, there is no abnormal moisture under the oil cap, etc. So, again I'm on my way, and make it home. Mind you there has been no signs of either oil or antifreeze mixing, no white smoke and the upper rad. hose doesn't get hard until the truck runs a good 10+ minutes.

Now, I'm going to first try the GM sealant tablets to see if it stops or slows the coolant loss, otherwise I'm thinking a new pair of headgaskets are in order.

So there it is. I was just wondering all weekend, what is going to happen next. I haven't had such a more frustrating string of events in a long time.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry man, I just recently had to put a new pmd and relocation kit on my dually. Glad it all worked out for you though.

sak778

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your living nitemare of a weekend. Real big bummer about your dog, man! Thats just like on of your children when you've watched them grow up with you.
So where is your PMD located at now? On a heat sink out of the engine compartment I hope. I hope it's just gaskets and not cracked heads in your case. Deffinatly have the heads checked out really good by a trusted machine shop while their off. They seem to be prone to cracking. Probably nothing you didn't all ready know tho. Im cutting my losses on my 6.5 and swapping in a 6.2 and hoping for better luck. Also check and reverify you have a started to block brace and that all starter related bolts are tight and presant.
On a lighter note. Awsome threads from you. You have a real eye for details and organization. I enjoy reading and learning from your posts/project threads. I can only dream of getting so much done on all of my projects! I really enjoy how you use stock options/upgrades and newer options on older vehicles they were never intended to be on. Thank You!

YMMV

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sweet! thats my fav color truck (besides black ;) so you're gonna pull a trailer with your red truck on the back of this and hook the trailer to the red truck and just wagon style it lol

sak778

Reaction score
I've read that the intake is an even worse place for the pmd than on the pump. makes it easier to change tho. I've thought about mounting it pre turbo in the intake tract (aka air box). that would keep air moving across it any time its running!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
sweet! thats my fav color truck (besides black ;) so you're gonna pull a trailer with your red truck on the back of this and hook the trailer to the red truck and just wagon style it lol
My dad loves black vehicles, he's up to 5 now. Only 1 of them is a different color, and it's silver. I love black when it's clean, but this color hides dirt better. Plus I wasn't being picky on color, I just lucked out with a color and interior color I actually like.

I mounted mine out of the engine compartment too.
I've read that the intake is an even worse place for the pmd than on the pump. makes it easier to change tho. I've thought about mounting it pre turbo in the intake tract (aka air box). that would keep air moving across it any time its running!
I will be moving mine to the bumper/grille area eventually. I've heard of people moving them to the intake, but you'll still need to have a heatshink of somesorts. Mine is going to have to stay where it is for the time being, till I have this dog thing sorted out and have time again.

------------------------

Alright, here is the latest. For those of you just tuning in, check my last update....

Anyway, been dealing with the dog and talking to shelters, lawyers, sheriff etc. Been a PITA.

Then, the truck started acting up again, been having passlock problems the past few days. It's giving me the theft fault, flashing "security" 10 mins till i can start it. Since the ignition is already resistor bypassed it means the truck is loosing the resistance of the resistor I soldiered in, which in my mind tells me it's having a connection issue. So I unhooked the batteries, reseated all the associated connectors involved with the passlock system, and found where that circuit is grounded....

Turns out, the ground for the passlock is a large ground bolted to the back of the block (there are two ground studs in this area). Upon inspection of the area, I found there were indeed two ground studs, however all 4 wires were on 1 of them instead of 2, and everything was nice and dirty. One of the studs is actually holding on a coolant blockoff plate.... Upon closer inspection, I see coolant sitting there next to it.

Jackpot! I think I found my passlock problem and coolant loss problem, all in 1 felt swoop. So, remove all the grounds, clean, etc. Scrape the blockoff plate and head surface, and re-install with a new gasket and a thin film of ultragrey. Reinstall all the bolts and grounds in the proper locations. I then unbolted and cleaned the frame grounding strap and battery grounding cable to the block.

Throw more coolant in the tank, and turn the key... Wait to start... Security light goes out. Woot! I've have 3 successful restarts with no passlock problems! Time will tell if the coolant loss was fixed, lets hope so!