88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It was tuned by Westers, Lyndon has done many of them. A wideband is on the list as well, along with boost and a trans temp. Unfortunately those will come at a little later date.

If it's a mail order tune, it's just a guess regardless of how many he's done. Every truck is different. You can build 2 identical engines and it wouldn't be unusual for one to want more fuel than the other or more/less timing. Add in the variable of elevation changes and boost and there may be a few things that need tweaking. It can all be done via mail order but you'd have to datalog for him to be certain everything's kosher.

I would definitely do a pyrometer as well.

Pyrometer is a waste on a gas engine. You don't use it to tune. The only use it would have is after the tune. You give the truck the fuel and spark it wants or tolerates (this application would be knock limited in terms of timing), then see what the EGTs are. If the EGTs are too high, you either have too much compression, too much boost, or not enough octane. Retarding the timing to stave off knock drives up EGTs, and if you pull it back too far it'll melt a piston. Likely not the case in a low compression low boost application like this here.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well way to make a bad ass truck even more bad asser. Can't wait for the video. This honestly might be the best 400 ever...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's a mail order tune, it's just a guess regardless of how many he's done. Every truck is different. You can build 2 identical engines and it wouldn't be unusual for one to want more fuel than the other or more/less timing. Add in the variable of elevation changes and boost and there may be a few things that need tweaking. It can all be done via mail order but you'd have to datalog for him to be certain everything's kosher.

Pyrometer is a waste on a gas engine. You don't use it to tune. The only use it would have is after the tune. You give the truck the fuel and spark it wants or tolerates (this application would be knock limited in terms of timing), then see what the EGTs are. If the EGTs are too high, you either have too much compression, too much boost, or not enough octane. Retarding the timing to stave off knock drives up EGTs, and if you pull it back too far it'll melt a piston. Likely not the case in a low compression low boost application like this here.

How will he know what the EGT's are doing without a pyrometer? I agree that it isn't used for tuning but I am also aware of his high profile with 17,000+ pounds weight. If it starts to get hot on a long pull it won't be obvious on a wide band.You can kill a piston without going lean.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
God I hate this ugly truck. Superchargers are stoopid. You should just get rid of it.

I know of a guy that would probably trade a nice clean Yukon for it.

:jester:

lol Still probably my favorite truck on here. Great work! You should take some videos once you get everything sorted out!!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Thanks for all the comments guys...

Welp, that was fun while it lasted.
You must be registered for see images attach

Slipped belt wasn't actually slipped. Supercharger seized up and killed the motor. Upon examination...
You must be registered for see images attach

Put the truck back to stock last night.

FML