'88 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There's a few of us on here. More from Texas than the whole of Canada, though!
Nice build! Had a '69 Chevelle in high school that ran similar numbers. Built it in the school shop. Taken out by a drunk. Hit so hard in the front end, the roof & 1/4's were rippled! Engine (new) was pushed back about 18"!
Swivel Buckets! Cool seats, but a nightmare to recover! They're all one piece! Backrest & cushions are not separate on those!
And yea, I've had a few that got away!
In particular...

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?8569-Pic-of-a-pic-of-a-car-I-owned

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
That is a real nice Nova sewlow!sucks about the Chevelle too------Yes, back then some of the cars are like a 2005 Grand Am today ---a disposable piece of transportation. I remember those Auto Traders; I had a box full of them. They used to be like $1.25 back in the '90's..this was before the internet got popular and it was a real good way to sell your car..I still have some ads clipped out including that 75 Malibu I wanted..

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I started taking apart the truck a bit in preparation for bed removal. I begun disconnecting&labeling all the wiring and putting all the bolts in zip lock bags. There is bundle of wires that lead to what appeared to be a auxiliary power source?? It was installed in the side of the bed but yet they cut the wires to out. I have included a picture of it.
I have researched the diff and it appears the Dana 70 are built to last. It looks like just change the diff oil and make sure the gears are good is the best course of action. Perhaps, change the side bearings.
What are the common size of tires for this truck? The ones currently on it are 225/75/16. I have heard (if you can) put a taller tire on it? Perhaps to lower the rear gear ratio to increase fuel economy---maybe a 235/80/16??

My friend and I are also looking at this red '89 dually. It would be a parts truck (the trans is done and body is a true northern crusty deal). He would get the engine 454 and I may take the busted trans for parts as well as tires and other nick knacks..he was saying people like the transfer case? Any other valuable parts? Whatever is left we will take to the scrappers..

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I started taking apart the truck a bit in preparation for bed removal. I begun disconnecting labeling all the wiring and putting all the bolts in zip lock bags. There is bundle of wires that lead to what appeared to be a auxiliary power source?? It was installed in the side of the bed but yet they cut the wires to out. I have included a picture of it.
I have researched the diff and it appears the Dana 70 are built to last. It looks like just change the diff oil and make sure the gears are good is the best course of action. Perhaps, change the side bearings.
What are the common size of tires for this truck? The ones currently on it are 225/75/16. I have heard (if you can) put a taller tire on it? Perhaps to lower the rear gear ratio to increase fuel economy---maybe a 235/80/16??

My friend and I are also looking at this red '89 dually. It would be a parts truck (the trans is done and body is a true northern crusty deal). He would get the engine 454 and I may take the busted trans for parts as well as tires and other nick nacks..he was saying people like the transfer case? Any other valuable parts? Whatever is left we will take to the scappers..

Ok thats a trailer light wiring harness amd as for the valuable parts on that other dually rear end rear bumper and the transfer case maybe if the interior is in good shape

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
thanks, it makes sense now. I think that the trailer harness was in the bed like that because at some point it had a 5th wheel hitch (I still have it). Later on someone went with a bumper hitch and intercepted the 5th wheel wiring which explains some things.

Yes, I heard the transfer case is valued. I do need some interior parts as well..although someone smashed the rear glass and water has worked it's way in..

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
thanks, it makes sense now. I think that the trailer harness was in the bed like that because at some point it had a 5th wheel hitch (I still have it). Later on someone went with a bumper hitch and intercepted the 5th wheel wiring which explains some things.

Yes, I heard the transfer case is valued. I do need some interior parts as well..although someone smashed the rear glass and water has worked it's way in..

Yep my CC had one in the bed and one on the bumper

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey guys, the bed is off now. It looks like the fuel tank and pump have been recently replaced. The rubber lines going into the pump look a bit suspect so I will change those..or is there any way I could use AN fittings? The fuel line threads don't look like a NPT type..

Some portions of the rear brake line need to get replaced. I assume 3/16 line will be fine? I will put all new shoes/ wheel cylinders/ hardware for the rear drums. I am hoping to just get the drums turned..I will also change the rear shocks

After some research I have decided to just drain the diff oil and put some new stuff in it. I won't rebuild the diff at this moment...

I am also going to fix up the rear wiring a bit with soldering the connections etc..

My next step is to knock off as much rust as possible and POR the rear frame..

[URL=http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Kris-Kristofferson/media/May-20-2014004_zps13a7a02b

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score