'88 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey guys (I am a new member here, excited to have a site like this here!), I am in the process of acquiring a '88 (or 89?) Chevrolet 3500. My goal of this truck to to have a dependable unit capable of pulling my race car (pic below)..at some point I might be pulling it with a enclosed trailer...

There is currently no engine or trans in it...I have a extra TH-400 with a bolt on yoke I will put to use. I am weighing in my options of a engine. I am thinking of a SBC 350 but I know these came with TBI so do I need any different heads? maybe a LS engine? or are there a lot of headaches converting it?
What is the diff that came in these? I looked it up a bit and it seems like a Dana 44 or 60? (I included a pic..)
Where can I get a service manual?

I am just trying to learn as much as I can. I started on the rear brakes and found out I need a special socket to remove those massive drums! lots of plans!

You must be registered for see images attach

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Hey guys (I am a new member here, excited to have a site like this here!), I am in the process of acquiring a '88 (or 89?) Chevrolet 3500. My goal of this truck to to have a dependable unit capable of pulling my race car (pic below)..at some point I might be pulling it with a enclosed trailer...

There is currently no engine or trans in it...I have a extra TH-400 with a bolt on yoke I will put to use. I am weighing in my options of a engine. I am thinking of a SBC 350 but I know these came with TBI so do I need any different heads? maybe a LS engine? or are there a lot of headaches converting it?
What is the diff that came in these? I looked it up a bit and it seems like a Dana 44 or 60? (I included a pic..)
Where can I get a service manual?

I am just trying to learn as much as I can. I started on the rear brakes and found out I need a special socket to remove those massive drums! lots of plans!

(Trying to make pics visible)

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
First of all, :welcome:

2nd, nice rides. Love them both.

3rd, that appears to be and should be a 14 bolt full float. (Pics are small on my phone)

Is the wiring harness still present under the hood? What was the original drivetrain?

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks Scotty, it is a full floater from what I gather (the axles are pulled out removing 8 bolts). I also starting looking in the LMC catalogue (great resource) and the diff shape matches the 14 bolt (so it must be that)..the harness under the hood looks good. It doesn't seem like it has been hacked too much. I can make out the alternator connections etc.. I can take some pics of the harness. It was hacked under the dash, it looks like someone added a electric brake controller and who know what else.
I looked up the VIN and used the LMC ID guide and the original engine was a 350, I know the trans that came out of it was a TH-400. I also now know its a '88 model year.
I found that I could get a service manual from Rock Auto (they any good??) to get a wiring diagram...the body is surprisingly good. It can't of spent it's whole life in the rust belt! The cab corners are bad but I can fix that..

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
If the wiring is in good enough shape, I would drop in another freshened up 350 in it and call it done unless you have the time and money to swap to a ls engine. You can make respectable power from a sbc tbi.

Stock block, vortec heads, decent cam, 4bbl carb intake, tbi adapter with a modded throttle body. Or even run a 4bbl carb.

I have no expirence with the rockauto service manuals. Any info I need, I turn to my Haynes manual and the internet.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks Scotty, that is kind of what I am thinking as well..I have some left over big block parts from the race car (heads. .100 over block etc) but I am missing a short block.Up here in the province of Ontario (Canada) for a 1988 year model we have to pass a e-test. So, would going to carb change that? Would I have to add a charcoal canister? I would still use the cats for the exhaust but would there be anything else to worry about?
Believe it or not I can get a '76 Chevelle/Lugana SBC engine from someone..It is a lower mileage unit but can't afford the $500 price at the moment..

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Im only counting 10 bolts on that diff cover... It don't look anything like my 14 bolt ff, and to my knowledge, gm never put a check plug in the pan. The looks of it much more resemble a dana than a gm axle.