88-98 Bucket seat alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
True, but what people do with a bucket seat, as far adjusting it to they way they prefer, totally changes the the way the seat fits the cab, when compared to how the bench fits. Especially electric seats, when used in a regular cab. An electric adjusted to sit flat on it's tracks, & the backrest set at the first notch to catch before it's release point, will give you the same leg & head room as a bench. Pretty close anyhow.
Recline the backrest, gotta slide the cushion forward. Tilt the cushion up in the front, gotta slide the cushion forward. Doing 'either' without doing 'or' & those little cable driven motors will force the seat against the back wall so hard that the frames of the seat will break, & the ratcheting backrest adjustment can be torqued right out of the bolt holes. Blown fuses. Any major combination of weird adjustment settings, & pretty soon the wheels right in your chest, & your knees are in the dash. Through in a full length console, & those seats are starting to feel like their pretty big in that small cab. The headrests are hard on window tint film, 'cause they sit right against the window.
When I've had students, what I spend alot of time on, after they have the basics down, is about style, design, & ergonomics. Especially when designing interiors in custom vehicles, weather modifying an existing interior or fabbing one from scratch. Modifying an existing interior is somewhat limiting. Certain parts are not, or won't be changed. The new or modified parts may interfere with un-modified. As long people realize the limitations of what's being used & where, then there's no problem.
You would not believe some of the explaining I've had to give to passengers that get in my truck on how to adjust the seat so as NOT to twist the **** out of 'em.
Fabbing a custom interior involves, sometimes, invloves hours & hours with the customer sitting the vehicle at various stages of the build, just to get everything to fit him. From the seat height/rake/tilt, it's length, distance to wheel & pedals, cushion & backrest foam firmness, to how the armrest fits to the seat height & it's placement to also look good with whatever design is used. Heat & Stereo controls & equipment, speaker placement, storage, door handles, window cranks, etc.
If the finished interior is beautiful, but you have to slide the seat all the way forward to open the console lid, the design is wrong. If the owner is looking for a Chiropracter after 45 minutes of driving, the ergo is wrong. Do all this & still make the interior look integral to the rest of the theme of the vehicle.
Compared to this, the restrictions of the interiors in these trucks actually make them easier to work on.
Damn, what was the Q again? Tequila must be kicking in!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ergonomics is a tricky thing. We bought a 91 SCSB for the son (actually, he paid for it, we just got the loan) and the first few times I drove it I was amazed how well it fit me. Then I noticed that the PO had installed 1.5" square tubing under the seat riser. Made all the difference in the world. Oh, and its a bench seat.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just installed seats from a 1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan. Used my power risers. seats bolted right up tho them. Even was able to use the power seat controls from the olds, and attach them to my risers.

You must be registered for see images attach

Looks great. Post more pics of the install. Did you have power seats to begin with?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just installed seats from a 1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan. Used my power risers. seats bolted right up tho them. Even was able to use the power seat controls from the olds, and attach them to my risers.

Excellent job! Great alternative seats. That's the first time I've seen those used. And how many sets have I walked past at the wreckers?
Most GM seats can be interchanged, when done in the manner that you did these. Good job, Boss!

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
Great info! My 94 has nice seats that appear to be from a newer pickup like a 97-99 style cloth. But I would love to do a full custom interior and maybe some sportier seats as well. Dos anyone have pics of say f-body seats in a GMT400?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Those turned out nice!

nutjobrob

Reaction score
Looks great. Post more pics of the install. Did you have power seats to begin with?

Oops, sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, i had a power drivers seat. So I used my existing riser with motors and mechs, and just bolted the new seat to that. Because the power seat controls for the original seat were mounted to the front of the seat itself, I had to use the controls from the new seat. The wiring harnesses hooked right into each other with no splicing necessary, and the controls from the new seat fastened right onto the side of my riser just like they were made for each other.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Agree. These look great. Nice find!

Has anyone thought about using the air ride riser from a tractor trailer seat? I would probablly have to lose the electric option due to the added hight. As much as I drive my truck, I thought it would be nice..

Goliath

Reaction score
After several visits to local JY's and waiting longer than I could stand it I settled for some good leather seats from a 2004 Buick Rainier ($150) - I figured for that price "I'd make them work". Going to be a big pain making some brackets for a couple of reasons such as both sides of the seats didn't sit on the floor, one did and the other on the hump. On the plus side I did run some wires to it to see if I could make the controls work and I can adjust it up/down, front/back, tilt and use lumbar. Anyway, I have a plan and will post pics if I am successful.

After spending much time evalauting this I would have been much better off to wait for a better match (frame wise) but I think it's going to work out.