88 383 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Currently in the process of building a 383 from an '88 Chev.
The block itself will have a scat 9000 crank, h beam rods, mahle forged pistons etc etc.
I have been looking through the forums to find another post of the same type (some people get pissy :p), with no avail.

I do NOT have the provisions for a factory roller cam setup. I want to run a roller cam. (for obvious reasons)

Can I run the retro-fit hydraulic roller lifters from the old style blocks? (two piece rear main seals)

Thanks!

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if it says that the roller retro fit stuff will work on a pre 87 block then id say yes, if its an 88+one it should have roller capabilites and you cna use factory roller stuff.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
88+ can't have stock roller parts. Depending on the block, some of them yes, had it ready for it. Mine is a '90 and I couldn't. I had to put in rollerised componants such as the rockers, llifters and such. Chances are , you'll have to do the same as me.

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I can't use the factory roller stuff. Don't have the bosses on the block. Just wanted to know if anyone has used the >87 roller lifters in one of these blocks before I spend a bunch of cash!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the bosses in the block for the factory lifter hold down then you have to use the retro fit stuff. You won't have a way to keep the factory roller lifters from rotating an then bad things will happen I suppose....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya they should since you really have no other choice/option. You can call comp cams an ask them at 1 800 999 0853 to be extra sure instead of blindly trusting a bunch of idiots on the internet :jester:

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ahaha i guess so eh, just wanted to hear if anyone had any experience! thanks for the help everyone!