8 lug conversion on a c1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
In general terms I agree with you Michael; though this kind of conversion isn't unheard of and can be safe if done correctly - and with its limitations kept in mind. Lower balljoint and control arm is the same 1500 though 3500, just the upper changes once you get to an 8600lb gvwr 2500. Easy enough to solve using the forged upper control arm from that truck.

With the correct parts used - including swapping in the heavier axle, brakes, etc. the only real shortcomings are the wheelbase and frame, so hanging semi's off the thing for looks would be fine. Expecting to tow heavy loads with it would be dumber than dumb...

I gave some ideas in his other thread, I personally don't think his plan will materialize exactly the way he envisioned it but that's often true of many of our customization ideas at first. :)

Richard

An alcoa 22.5 weighs in around 45 pounds, now you are adding an adapter and a heavy ass tire, and additional mounting studs and nuts. The shocks and the other front end parts will bear the brunt of all of the additional weight.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Other than the adapter that's about the same as anybody running a typical cast aluminum 22" or 24" wheel on their half ton setup. Those wheels are heavy. As far as the tire, the typical situation is a dropped truck running milled semi's and a low profile tire the exact same tire as you would use on a 22" or 24" - not a heavy truck tire. I really don't see it as that much of a real-world difference, though I would agree with you that it's a big pile of heavy crap to hang off each corner of a truck; it's not significantly heavier than current trends in custom wheels.

Richard

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
An alcoa 22.5 weighs in around 45 pounds, now you are adding an adapter and a heavy ass tire, and additional mounting studs and nuts. The shocks and the other front end parts will bear the brunt of all of the additional weight.

Well, he can always swap in some heavy duty front end parts. People do these kind of conversions safely. Just have to do everything right the first time

Sent while pulling out a Ford

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This might be crazy but might work, how about starting out with a 2500 or 3500 truck!?