1996 gmc yukon 4x4 8 lug axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8-lug-Yukon

Reaction score
I have done a swap and I've run into some small problems. I still have a lot of work to do.
but I've taken the 6 lug spindles and cv axles (working on doing the front Diffendal)
currently sitting on 8 lug wheels and it will roll. The front axle nuts are torqued to spec according to the 2500 specs, they are stiff and hard to turn.
I have loosened them up and still they are stiff to turn

second issue is that I am concerned about the 2500 upper ball joints may not fit in the 1500 control arm. as the upper control arms were different widths I could not just swap the 2500 ones in the Yukon. any information is appreciated
I have been stalling on the project for a couple of months now, but I recently had to go out and move it and now I want to get it on the road again. but with those two issues in the front I worry it will be dangerous for others around me.
I don't want anyone getting hurt because I did not think of something thoroughly.

and the red wheels are gone they were a test fit for the axle swap
i am new to this forum and will be updating and sharing more information on this swap in the future.
You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool build. I wanted to do this years ago, never could get a straight answer how to do it. I did it (well eventually will) the easy way and just SAS'd it with 8 lugs...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken the 6 lug spindles and cv axles (working on doing the front Diffendal)
currently sitting on 8 lug wheels and it will roll. The front axle nuts are torqued to spec according to the 2500 specs, they are stiff and hard to turn.
I have loosened them up and still they are stiff to turn
Stiff and hard to turn because of the bearings, or because of the brakes, or because the axle disconnect is still engaged for "4WD"?

You're using 8-lug steering knuckles, hubs/bearings, and CV shafts? Are the CV shafts bolted to the differential at the other end? Are the CV shafts an appropriate length, so they're not stretched-out, or compressed excessively?

I am concerned about the 2500 upper ball joints may not fit in the 1500 control arm. as the upper control arms were different widths I could not just swap the 2500 ones in the Yukon. any information is appreciated
The 8-lug control arms have different ball-joint bolt spacing (rivet spacing) than the 6-lug arms. So, NO the 8-lug ball joints won't fit the 6-lug control arms.

But MAYBE the stud diameter and taper is the same, so that the 6-lug control arms and the matching 6-lug ball joints can be used with the 8-lug steering knuckles.

If the ball joint stud size and taper does not PERFECTLY match the size and taper of the steering knuckle hole, you WILL break the ball joint stud, and the vehicle WILL become uncontrollable. But it won't happen right away, you'll never know when it's going to let go. In the process, it'll destroy the steering knuckle, too.

8-lug-Yukon

Reaction score
I will be doing some testing and possible installs soon I will keep the thread updated as I find things out.

Things I know right now
The ball joint taper is off, I found a set for a 2500 6 lug going to Try them and see what it fits like.
The hard to turn could be the brake calipers so I will order some new ones also and see if that helps.
I dont think it's a bearing and cv issue but I will keep it in mind and check them out
Worst thing that happens is I end up putting a solid axle in but I would like to keep the IFS if I can