700R4 Troubleshooting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you explain the difference in these two things please?
https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article - Bolted Joint Design.pdf

Bolts do get loaded in shear quite often, but when that's the case you want to put the shear load on the shoulder of the bolt. Torque converter bolts don't have a shoulder, so they don't even achieve the 60% of tensile strength that is usually calculated for shear strength.

I've never had to shim a torque converter, so that may be why I don't like it, but using washers to shim a torque converter sure seems like an engineering fail to me.

Finally, if the bolts were only loaded in shear, I'd expect to see more wear on the flexplate, but unless somebody dorked something up, there's usually not any deformation of the bolt holes. That's a pretty good indication that the force is being transferred into the torque converter through the metal pads that are clamped to the flexplate by the bolts.

...but... I'm not a mechanical engineer either. We got any engineers handy that can clear it up for us?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article - Bolted Joint Design.pdf

Bolts do get loaded in shear quite often, but when that's the case you want to put the shear load on the shoulder of the bolt. Torque converter bolts don't have a shoulder, so they don't even achieve the 60% of tensile strength that is usually calculated for shear strength.

I've never had to shim a torque converter, so that may be why I don't like it, but using washers to shim a torque converter sure seems like an engineering fail to me.

Finally, if the bolts were only loaded in shear, I'd expect to see more wear on the flexplate, but unless somebody dorked something up, there's usually not any deformation of the bolt holes. That's a pretty good indication that the force is being transferred into the torque converter through the metal pads that are clamped to the flexplate by the bolts.

...but... I'm not a mechanical engineer either. We got any engineers handy that can clear it up for us?
Thanks, that is a helpful article.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I bought my 89 C1500 2 years ago, Newer 350 TBI. Old 700R4. It started with what I though and was told was my rear end. Installed a new one(2.73 to 3.42) swapped in a stage 2 700r4? So the new 700r4 is blowing my ECM Fuse. I traced to my TCC So I left that unplugged. I drive it a few blocks and initial drive shifts fine. It is after a I come to a stop I begin to accelerate and it won't shift!? Is this from my TCC solenoid not being plugged in? Or is this "new" trans toast? Also have noise from TC or Flywheel area?
Yes, verify the TCC wire.

Yes, verify starter position vs. flywheel.

As for not shifting once the engine has run awhile, I would drop the pan, change the filter, and flush the fluid via the cooler tube. While the pan is off, verify that the TV valve isn't sticking.