700R4 Troubleshooting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89C15002WD

Reaction score
So I bought my 89 C1500 2 years ago, Newer 350 TBI. Old 700R4. It started with what I though and was told was my rear end. Installed a new one(2.73 to 3.42) swapped in a stage 2 700r4? So the new 700r4 is blowing my ECM Fuse. I traced to my TCC So I left that unplugged. I drive it a few blocks and initial drive shifts fine. It is after a I come to a stop I begin to accelerate and it won't shift!? Is this from my TCC solenoid not being plugged in? Or is this "new" trans toast? Also have noise from TC or Flywheel area?

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you order a transmission and install it yourself, or did you pay someone else to do it? If you paid someone else, stop and take it back to them.

If you installed it, check to make sure you didn't pinch the TCC wire, causing your short.

Did you get the three clunks when installing your torque converter? If not, you've likely dorked your new transmission.

The TCC circuit does nothing except lockup, so leaving it unplugged would not cause your shifting problems.

Finally, did you adjust your TV cable?

89C15002WD

Reaction score
Purchased from a friend of a friend.I installed it with adult supervision/experienced help.

I will check the TCC wire.

Yes I adjusted the TV cable by pressing in locking tab. pushing back adjuster then pulling to full throttle?

Gonna look into all these points. Thanks!

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
noise from a torque converter area is a concern. TV plunger could also be sticking on the no shift part

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...but did you get the three clunks?

In my estimation, most transmission replacements are fouled up on torque converter installation. That would cause your noise, and it would keep it from shifting.

89C15002WD

Reaction score
My buddy says yes TC was all the way home. They also had me put washers between Flywheel and torque converter? My next step is replacing flywheel.To me it sounds like its rubbing/ticking on starter? Also was making this sound with previous transmission. The flywheel is the same but trans and TC were new.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you order a transmission and install it yourself, or did you pay someone else to do it? If you paid someone else, stop and take it back to them.

If you installed it, check to make sure you didn't pinch the TCC wire, causing your short.

Did you get the three clunks when installing your torque converter? If not, you've likely dorked your new transmission.

The TCC circuit does nothing except lockup, so leaving it unplugged would not cause your shifting problems.

Finally, did you adjust your TV cable?

haha dorked, I like that word
Sorry off topic, good luck with the trans

One thing with the starter, they often have to be shimmed, make sure its not that. It's a lot easier to shim a starter than it is to replace a flywheel

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also had me put washers between Flywheel and torque converter?
Why? I don't like that idea. Bolts are designed to be loaded in tension, not in shear. The bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate have to be tight enough that they're loaded in tension, i.e. pulling the torque converter hard against the flexplate, instead of shear, i.e. the threads of the bolts pushing sideways against the metal of the flexplate. By adding washers, you're ensuring they're loaded in shear and not in tension.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? I don't like that idea. Bolts are designed to be loaded in tension, not in shear. The bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate have to be tight enough that they're loaded in tension, i.e. pulling the torque converter hard against the flexplate, instead of shear, i.e. the threads of the bolts pushing sideways against the metal of the flexplate. By adding washers, you're ensuring they're loaded in shear and not in tension.
Can you explain the difference in these two things please?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Are we talking about the converter spacing? That's pretty standard to add washers to bring the T.C. into the oil pump for proper engagement...You have to!

Now, about your statement about bolts only loaded in tension...Um, I'm no mechanical engineer, but I know bolts are loaded in shear all the time. Are you talking about this application specifically (flywheel to TC bolts?) I'm certain that the bolts from the flywheel to the torque converter are loaded in shear, not tension. I suppose when the crank pushes against the thrust bearing they do get loaded in tension, but that's more of a transient (non-continuous) loading...so most likely a combination of stresses.

By adding the shims, you preclude from loading the bolts in bending, in addition to shear (besides the statement about the pump engagement.)