700R4 transmission swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wellkyle

Reaction score
Hello I have a 91 K1500 with a 5.7L 350 that i am currently swapping to a 383 Stroker that will have about 375Hp and 400Tq and i need to replace the tranny im wondering what the best options are. Should i rebuild the 700R4 or should i swap it for something else? I would like this to just about bulletproof! Please give me some suggestions!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
4L80E and a standalone controller like optishift.

Programmable, gives you "paddleshifter" capabilities, etc.

Get a 4L80e built 99+ and you get the solid input shaft.

Damned near impossible to break a stock 4L80E at the figures you've quoted.

Build it a little bit and they're total monsters.

Problem with the 60 is it relies on bands for engagement. The 80 is a clutch pack style transmission.

But with that beef comes mass. IE: it's bigger, it's heavier and it gobbles up a little bit more power in parasitic/drivetrain losses.

Or, you could go with a manual trans and gain strength as well as a small bump in MPG....

*edit - Oopps. It appears "optishift is now "USShift" - http://www.usshift.com/ made by the same company though, Baumann

Last edited:

wellkyle

Reaction score
I like the Monster tranny if i can afford it i will probably get the Super duty 4x4 700R4, just so that i know everything will work perfectly! Thanks for the suggestions!

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Only thing with the 4l80 you'll be getting into some money, quickly.