700r4 Rebuild Advice Wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
don't get suckered into gimmick clutches/bands and other unnecessary parts.

use the stock 4l60E borgwarner "high energy" clutches for the 3/4 clutch pack. i can send you a list to build your own 7 clutch stackup. run clearance: 0.020"-0.045"

use the stock 4L60E BorgWarner "high energy" band. you do NOT need a "wide" band and definitely avoid anything with kevlar in it. servo pin travel: 0.060-.080". you may need to get a longer pin and grind it down by hand. clearance can be checked with a dial indicator the fancy GM tool is not needed. make sure your drum is flat if not get a new one.

these clearances are no where near stock. do not use stock clearances in these locations. if someone says they are too tight, run!

you can also retro in the 4L60E tubular steels in the reverse/input drum and the low/reverse clutchpack. Less parasitic drag.

stock clutches in the rest of the clutch packs are fine

I would definitely run the corvette servo, transgo or sonnax sells then. you do not need an aftermarket/billet servo. i like the LB1 pressures regular from sonnax. 700r4/4l60es respond well to more pressure.

don't waste your money on a "shift kit" i can give you suggestions on how to modify your separator plate for firm (not harsh) shifts that will make your transmission live longer if you are interested

I helped another user here with hia rebuild:
Yes, please send me any lists / parts you think I will need, and thank you for the information!