700r4 LS1 5.3L swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EDGECRUSHER

Reaction score
lol, looks like I missed some good stuff? I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate about TBI vs. MPFI.
Regardless, I think if your buying an LS you're either going to get the harness and computer in the deal or find one later. Reverse engineering the LS while maybe being a challenge in and of itself is not what I'm after. However, I think it's funny how some people get so wound up when Megasquirt is mentioned in these swaps.

My current situation:
I added a product called Seafoam to my gas after reading some forums that sparked my curiosity. Almost immediately i started noticing coolant leaking and narrowed it down to a bad passenger side head gasket which I attribute to the Seafoam in an old motor which will prolly start a new arguement lol. Any ways, the coolant isn't getting into the oil or the cylinders... yet, and it's not my DD. So I got some time to finger out what I'm gonna do. I was going to just rebuild but I'm finding it's not going to cost that much more to do a swap. As long as I'm at it the whole front end of the truck will be rebuilt. So I got time to do it right. Maybe not all the money I want, but you know...

So it's sounding like whether I go with a 5.3 or a 6.0, the process of mating them up to my current tranny is the same. I will need to set up the TCC with a bowtie TV cable kit. However, I'm still not certain of the difference in length between the 6.0 and 5.3 and whether the 6.0 needs the trans adapter like the 5.3. Once I figure out how to mate the two together I can see where the motor is gonna sit and fab mounts for that.

It'd be real nice to find a place where someone doing a swap with the 6.0 to 700r4 listed all the extra parts involved and their numbers. I found one that said he would but then started into a downward spiral of rants back and forth about TBI and never finished. Their a dime a dozen, the hard part is filtering the relevant info out. Mechanics aren't good writers usually. :Stupid Me:

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
More like most writers aren't mechanics. The few that are are generally employed by a company who doesn't want them writing for anyone else ;)

There is no difference in the 4.8/5.3/6.0 as far as mounts are concerned. You likely won't have that 700R for very long if you go with a 6.0. This is why I mentioned a 4L80, and someone else mentioned a 400 I think. Chances are you can sell that 700R for more than what it would cost you to buy a 400. You'll lose overdrive but at least the trans will hold up for more than 5k miles. A 4L80 would take a control unit to run but would be fairly reliable and let you keep OD.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
A 4L80E would not take a stand alone controller if you use the complete harness from the truck you pull the 6.0 from.

It would be a sweet deal if you could find a complete donor truck that you could take the 6.0, the trans, the harness, and the computer out of it. And maybe even the gauges if you want to go that far.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what you would spend beefing up a 700 to live behind a 6.0 I would go with Jack's suggestion of a complete pull out engine an trans. Then you have no worries about compatibility or weakness. Then you could sell your 700 to recoup some $$$.