6V53T Detroit Diesel swap into a 97 K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I have some questions about a swap I'm engaged in at this moment; I'm taking a gas Vortec automatic K3500 and swapping in a 6V53 (two-cycle) Detroit Diesel and a straight-drive transmission. I'm good at the physical end of it, but the electronic end has me a little concerned. The truck has a lot of nice features that I want to retain, such as cruise, abs, to name a few. Also, I want all the stock gauges to work as they did before; I don't want to add aftermarket gauges, etc.,, I want the truck to look stock inside.

Why am I installing a Detroit two-cycle? I love the sound they make, and if you set them up right they're pretty economical. Other than that, it makes no sense whatsoever. By the way, the engine I'm installing is aluminum, so weight won't be as much of a factor as putting in an iron job would be.

I'm installing a 6V53 and a ZF 650 six-speed trans and a NP 261 (non-motorized) transfer case.

My questions are these:

1. Where does the tach signal come from? Will I need to rig up a drive to make the Detroit spin the Vortec's dizzy to get a tach signal?

2. Can I install a 'diesel' gauge cluster and have it work with the gas (Vortec) electronics?

3. From where does the front axle get its signal to engage when you put the truck in 4wd? The truck has a mechanical transfer case as it has a lever in the floor; no push buttons.

4. What will I have to do with the old transmission's range switches, selector switches, etc. to fool the computer into thinking the truck is in gear?

I realize these may be a lot of questions, but my knowledge of cars stops with HEI's and Quadrajet carburetors, so please keep the answers simple.

Thanks so much!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
3. Haynes manual would be helpful here. You could also go with a cable operated manual pull style setup.

4. The gas computer will be gone, so what computer needs to know what gear it's in?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you're not already on 4btswaps, you might want to join. Some of your questions don't depend on the engine, but the truck. Also there is a Detroit section there.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll get a Haynes manual and I've been looking at 4btswaps; guess its time to join. I'm reluctant to remove the computer because so many systems are tied into it. Plus, I don't want to do a complete re-wire of the truck. I plan to use as many sensors as possible on the new engine.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll get a Haynes manual and I've been looking at 4btswaps; guess its time to join. I'm reluctant to remove the computer because so many systems are tied into it. Plus, I don't want to do a complete re-wire of the truck. I plan to use as many sensors as possible on the new engine.

Maybe the gauges are tied to it. What year is your truck? Or did I miss that? If it was originally an automatic and you swap in a manual, you can program the PCM for that but I don't see the point. Even if the PCM runs the gauges, I bet a 95 cluster would work with just sensors feeding it. Pure speculation on my part, but worth looking into.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
The simplest answer I can formulate:

It's impossible.

If I'm wrong, I wanna see photos.

I've seen tons of Detroit swapped Squares; but no GMT400s.

I almost wonder if it would be easier to find an old 6.2 powered 400 and perform the swap then?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The simplest answer I can formulate:

It's impossible.

If I'm wrong, I wanna see photos.
Considering this ol boy put an inline-4 Series 53 Detroit in a GMT400, I'm gonna guess OP can get a V6 version in his?

Ledfeet did all aftermarket gauges, though, and I'm doubting the original truck's cruise in intact in any fashion, other than the now-useless switch on the column. Love this truck tho.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Richard