6V53T Detroit Diesel swap into a 97 K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the gauges are tied to it. What year is your truck? Or did I miss that? If it was originally an automatic and you swap in a manual, you can program the PCM for that but I don't see the point. Even if the PCM runs the gauges, I bet a 95 cluster would work with just sensors feeding it. Pure speculation on my part, but worth looking into.
The truck is a 97.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen tons of Detroit swapped Squares; but no GMT400s.

I almost wonder if it would be easier to find an old 6.2 powered 400 and perform the swap then?
I already have the truck; a single wheel K3500. Plus its rust-free and not beat-up.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I won't say it's "impossible",, but you might want to make a cardboard mock-up of a 6v53T to see what you might be up against.
Been lots of 4-53 conversions, but the V series is a bit diff.
To start with, a 6v53T is ~39 in long, by ~37 in wide, by ~41 in tall,, oh,, and it weighs over 2,000lbs.
Now add in some manifolds, accessary drives, huge filters, and a radiator that's at least twice the size of a 454 radiator, and you'll get an idea of the space you need.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I won't say it's "impossible",, but you might want to make a cardboard mock-up of a 6v53T to see what you might be up against.
Been lots of 4-53 conversions, but the V series is a bit diff.
To start with, a 6v53T is ~39 in long, by ~37 in wide, by ~41 in tall,, oh,, and it weighs over 2,000lbs.
Now add in some manifolds, accessary drives, huge filters, and a radiator that's at least twice the size of a 454 radiator, and you'll get an idea of the space you need.

His is the aluminum version so it will come in quite a bit lighter than 2,000lbs. 1,300-1,500lbs. or so.

OP, doesn't the aluminum version have a different oil pan that makes it even more of a clearance issue than the conventional stamped version? Or maybe the stamped version bolts on? I think you'll have plenty of room under the hood but doesn't IFS really complicate things for this conversion vs. a straight axle truck? Not saying it can't be done by any means but you're probably going to have to do a body lift at minimum.

I'm a big DD fan myself. I've got a 2-71 that I put in a Farmall Super M. Cheap reliable HP. 86HP at 2,300 RPM with 9A90 injectors. Not bad for 142 cu. in. and no turbo.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as you have a correct VSS signal, speedo and cruise will function normally without ECM. The tach will require an electronic tach drive which mounts on the front of the engine 6V53. All guages are analog, so just wire up accordingly. Oil pressure and temp sensors from old gas engine resolves impedance.
The front diff gets engage signal from either the TCM, or from a transfer case mounted switch. Either way, the front diff is engaged by grounding the grey/black wire. I'd add a dash switch to control the front diff which will allow use of low transfer case range, without 4w4, for low speed tight work. The low/high speedo range isn't important. If you cannot find a transmission mounted VSS with correct output count, there are kits that mount on the driveshaft that will work.
The ECM does not control guages. The ECM does control dash idiot light indicators..which you don't need. Dakota instruments offers VSS emulators. A late ZF may have compatible VSS. If mechanical speedo output, might find an emulator that will adapt to either transmission or transfer case speedo. Consider an air assist clutch. Looks like an interesting conversion. If the DD is a DDEC, late military, and designed for OTR use, you might find outputs for tach and VSS already exist in DDEC ecm. VSS only if engine and transmission are "married".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Read your original post again. A diesel dash wont accomplish anything.
And, the truck has no need to know "when it's in gear". You will want to add a clutch/start (if manual, if auto. You'll need a trans controller) interlock switch so you'll know when it's in gear. A switch from a cruise control, manual shift will give you a cruise interrupt if clutch is depressed. The brake interrupt switch will work as is. Your speedo will be inaccurate in low range. Not a biggie.
Your 7.4 tach drive is off the ignition coil. The ECM counts the tach for AC and fuel pump...and other functions that you wont need. You can convert to diesel with alternator adaptor or cam drive electric drive.
If DDEC, you'll need an DDEC ECM from a manual shift. I suppose your engine is milspec A2? About 1575 lbs of aluminium...adding about 600 lbs to your front end. 3500s are solid axle? If not, it should be.
The one issue you'll have to engineer is AC control circuit. Not too difficult, but will require 2 Bosch 5 pin relays and some thought. AC compressor mount and hoses for the 6v53 will be interesting.
As one that has operated several DD engines, 2/53 to 8V92TA (S60 also), I never thought of the 2 strokes as producing good mileage. The 60 could if you could stand the chatter. 2 strokes are interesting, no doubt. You probably have 4.10 axles. Something in 3.43 or 3.73 would work better with a 6V. About 1500-2000 is best torque vs fuel. You redline at 2300 and if your 6 speed goes to 1 over, you'll be against the gov at about 65. If no OD, ( bus and med truck ZF), you'll top out at 60 mph. What SAE trans are you running? Get a block heater in that thing before installing. I seea big body lift in your future. We'll need pics of your build!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk