6LE80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any one have experience with this box?
6spd auto , available with an external controller from what I can see
I know it's in the current batch of trucks. I was considering using it behind a vortex 5.7 and getting creative with a paddle shift arrangement.
Going into a 88 2wd short bed chassis.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not sure if it can handle the raw power of a vortex. I know that it would hold up well to vortech power though.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
auto correct fail - brought to you by Ipad...

(Pc does not have this probelm.)

looking for a bit of guidance on this box. I know that the controller in the OEM side of things was always part of the engine managment. from reading this one appears to have its own built into the box itself.

found this:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/automatic/6l80.htm

most of that makes sense to me.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any one have experience with this box?
That transmission has a mind of its own. I put about 160K on a 2009 3500HD 6.0/6L80E combo (may have been the stronger 6L90E but I don't have the truck here anymore to look up the RPO's) and the shift behavior of it is quirky and sometimes annoying. It did stand up to 200K+ miles of heavy usage as a wrecker though so it did appear to be a stout transmission. We had several other trucks go 300K+ before getting rid of them and I don't think we did trans jobs on any of them.

Im not sure if it can handle the raw power of a vortex. I know that it would hold up well to vortech power though.
If you're gonna ding him for calling it "Vortex" you might as well get "Vortec" right. :gr_grin:

Richard

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so how much of a pain is it to use as a daily drive with 400hp?

the idea is that these can be reprogrammed to suit engines.

my idea is to drop two decent sized snails on the engine and set the trans up to suit.

truck is not a strip terror.