6inch rcx on 98 1500 6.5 turbo diesel BIG ISSUE...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So over the weekend we installed a 6inch rcx into my buddies 98 half ton diesel 6.5. We ran into a big problem when we put the front diff back in. The yoke for the front drive shaft is DIRECTLY in line with the cross over pipe. Other then that there were no more problems. So now he has to take it to an exhaust shop and have something made. My concern is if i were to put a 6inch lift in my 1500 gasser does this same problem happen? Sorta would defeat the purpose of "bolt on"

Last edited:

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea you will have to have an exhaust shop re route it...I had mine done under the driveshaft the first time. After raising my truck some more I had it ran over the driveshaft...so no more issues with going higher. I recommend running it over the shaft the first time.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Did it not say that in the directions? I am pretty sure it is one of the first things that is mentioned.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not the first thing mentioned, but it its clearly mentioned in step 57 complete with a picture. Yes any truck you put the kit on is going to have to get the y-pipe modified.

Just leave the front driveshaft out until you get it done. Mines been out over a month now but I hope to be able to get by the exhaust shop tues/weds when I'm off an get it done. Just take the shaft an a 11 mm wrench with you. Let them cut the pipe an then put the shaft back in so they can route it over it. Shouldn't cost more than $60 I would think.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
yeah what they all others have said either one exhaust has to be modified to clear shaft. Had mine redone over the drive shaft.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah what they all others have said either one exhaust has to be modified to clear shaft. Had mine redone over the drive shaft.

What did that run you? I know every shop is wildly different but just looking for a ball park

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
What did that run you? I know every shop is wildly different but just looking for a ball park

it was included in the lift installation price but i think they said bout $100 was for exhaust modification.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was included in the lift installation price but i think they said bout $100 was for exhaust modification.

Ouch, hope my guy is a little cheaper than that. I'm thinking it will be between $60-$80. But you never really know till they do it. He did the y-pipe mods on my firebird for 65 iirc so I hope this is around the same...

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
Ouch, hope my guy is a little cheaper than that. I'm thinking it will be between $60-$80. But you never really know till they do it. He did the y-pipe mods on my firebird for 65 iirc so I hope this is around the same...

yeah id say thats more ideal, i think 100 was bullsh*t i figure they kept the change when they did mine bc they took it to another shop where i get my mufflers done, But again i paid them to do everything so it was what it was.