6 speed swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reverse light colors are the same on the T56 as your truck. Lt green & brown IIRC. You just need to run from your old automatic column down to the T56 switch. One wire is Ign the other is the power feed to the rev lights.

The speedo can be fixed with a modification to the DRAC in your C1500. IIRC the truck is 400 pulses per mile and the T56 is 4000 pulses per mile. I left mine alone. With my 4.56s and a 27" tall tire, my speedo reads exacly half I.E 40 observed equals 80.

I did my T56 swap in 2000/2001. It has held up very well for the past 10 years. It is behind a 505hp/535tq 461ci big block. I tore up a set of syncro keys once, and tore up the actual 2nd gear syncro ring. I have approx 40k miles on the combo.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lots of good info here. Sixspeed, I hear ya on the synchros. I'm gonna go with cyro treated stuff before I do my swap for that very reason.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, mine has held up good too, even when I had my blower on, we'll see once I get the twins installed, but the T56 is stout in stock form, with upgrades it can hold up to quite a bit.

if the 700r4 is like the 60e as far as output pulses, it should be 40 pulses per revolution, the T56 is 17 per revolution...like I was saying, its easy to change in OBDII stuff, but I'm just not too familar with the setup of the earlier VSS signals. it sounds like sixspeedSS knows about it pretty good since his is a '90

hotrod22

Reaction score
thanks alot gotem workin. and yea ur right about the gages. its a real simple set up. obd1 sucks. u cant really do crap with it with out having a custom burnt comp. even custom burning a chip doesnt help much. ill probly just hook up my aftermarket spedo and mount it to the dash right now. i wana keep my moon gages tho. there just cool in my op. thanks for all the help o btw i got my master/slave set up from an 88 5 speed v6 and the slave is aluminum with a bleed. just fyi

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks alot gotem workin. and yea ur right about the gages. its a real simple set up. obd1 sucks. u cant really do crap with it with out having a custom burnt comp. even custom burning a chip doesnt help much. ill probly just hook up my aftermarket spedo and mount it to the dash right now. i wana keep my moon gages tho. there just cool in my op. thanks for all the help o btw i got my master/slave set up from an 88 5 speed v6 and the slave is aluminum with a bleed. just fyi

yeah, thats similar to the slave I use now too, but mine is from a '92 fbody T5. I like that it's aluminum vs plastic....

with the stock T56 slave all you do is unbolt the slave from the bellhousing, pop the lid off the clutch reservoir, then turn the slave upside down while under the truck, and manually push the pluger in with your hand, add fluid to the reservoir as needed not to let it empty out...then when you don't get anymore bubbles coming out of the reservoir you've got it bled and you re-bolt on the slave to the bellhousing, and put the clutch fluid cap back on. its pretty simple.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, thats similar to the slave I use now too, but mine is from a '92 fbody T5. I like that it's aluminum vs plastic....

with the stock T56 slave all you do is unbolt the slave from the bellhousing, pop the lid off the clutch reservoir, then turn the slave upside down while under the truck, and manually push the pluger in with your hand, add fluid to the reservoir as needed not to let it empty out...then when you don't get anymore bubbles coming out of the reservoir you've got it bled and you re-bolt on the slave to the bellhousing, and put the clutch fluid cap back on. its pretty simple.

Next time you crawl under your truck you should takes some pics of this and put it in your how to thread.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the aluminum slave with the bleeder now, I do talk about the differences in the slaves in my article on my site, though I can't remember if I go over the bleeding proceedure or not, I'll have to double check, thats a good thing to put in if I need to.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It might be different from car to car, but I blead/bleeded (sp?) the one in my LS1 GTO still on the car. I could get to the bleed valve with everything intact.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LSx T56 slaves are 100% different than LTx T56 slaves. the lt1 t56 stock slave has no bleed valve at all, which is what the proceedure I posted is for.