6.5 diesel not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm lost on this engine. I went to start it one cold morning a week ago and It fired up and ran for about 30 seconds then cut out like some one shut the key off. I have checked all the fuses and the connections under the hood but everything is good. I even puled the fuel shut off solenoid to test it and I was working just fine. I got a new PMD/FSD and a remote mount for it but that didn't help any. I also pulled the ECM and looked in it, didn't see anything burnt on either side of the PC board. All the truck will do is just crank over. Any help will be appreciated.:banghead:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Pull the OBDI codes with the paper clip trick:

http://www.troublecodes.net/gm/

Once we see what's lurking in there, I might be able give you some ideas where to go first.

there's also a chance you have passlock, GM's first attempt at an immobilizer. I believe 95 was the first year for it, but I don't think it's very common in the trucks that year.

If you turn on the truck and a "security" idiot light comes on in the dash cluster, you've got it. The Passlock system is a source of a lot of trouble when the module goes.

Typically, it will start and run for maybe 10 secs before it dies. It can be bypassed, but you need to do a little snooping, metering and soldering.

If your PCM was taken out and you do have passlock, you need to do the relearn procedure or it won't work at all...that's IF you have passlock.

Your description makes it sound like something else is going on.

Last edited:

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got codes 13 (fuel shut off) and 62(?). is acting like there's no fuel getting to it, I cracked number 1 injection line and there was nothing coming out.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
DTC 13 - Engine Shutoff Solenoid Circuit Fault
DTC 62 - Turbo Boost Sensor Circuit Low

How did you check the fuel shutoff solenoid?

Is your lift pump working?

The IP will run with out a functioning lift pump, but only if it maintains prime. As soon as you loose prime, the IP will not pull fuel from the tank. It will need a functioning LP to feed it until it gets primed again.

You do need a lift pump all the time, it's just the standyne IP will run without one. Kind of a "limp home" deal so you don't get stuck in a bad spot....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I pulled it out and left it plugged in to the harness and had a buddy cycle the key on and off.

Did you get a squirt of fuel from the opening in the IP where the shutoff solenoid was?

If you didn't, your LP is likely dead and your IP has lost prime.

Check the connector at the LP to see if you have voltage. IF not, check the LP relay. You can swap it with an AC relay in the underhood relay/fuse box for testing purposes. same-same.

95 could also be the oil pressure switch as the LP circuit also runs through that and they are known to burn contacts.

Does your truck have passlock or not?

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly don't know if it has passlock or not how would I tell. I also got a small squirt of fuel, and nothing since, ill have to check the LP and see if its even moving fuel.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No Passlock. Didn't come in until 1998. Sorry I can't help with the 6.5td otherwise, but I at least can tell you there's no Passlock antitheft on this truck.

Richard

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well there goes that theory lol. the LP is flowing fine, I just pulled the fuel filter and fuel came flooding out of the housing, how do I prime the IP?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Crack the lines on the drivers side and give 'er a crank until you get fuel. Once they're more or less primed, tighten 'em down and start the truck.

It will run like crap until It purges the passenger side, but it shouldn't take long to purge. 5-6 secs if its running.

Make sure you batteries are heathly. The 6.5 needs a certain rpm to kick off. Memory fails me right now but 300 rpm rings a bell....

If you're not getting fuel there only a coup!e things it could be. One is the shutoff solenoid. The other is the fuel solenoid on the end of the rotary head (where the lines attach). If the fuel valve is the problem it could be the valve itself or the pmd which drives it.

Crack the injectorsagain and try to purge it. See what you get.

Keep your hands away from the injectors. The fuel can spray out at high pressure and penetrate your skin. If it does that, you have to get to the hospital.....immediately!!!

Diesel fuel shot into you skin at high pressure kills it immediately and can travel quickly......seek medical attention asap.