6.0 turbo build advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thenameless

Reaction score
Greetings from Canada. Looking for some tips on a street build if anyone has personal experience. I have a 6.0 lq4 that I'm about to send out to machine shop for balancing and cam bearings. My goal is to build something as close to 4 digits as I can without sacrificing streetability for my 97 c1500 2wd rcsb. So far the parts list is this.

Stock pcm (hp tuners)
Walbro 450, 8an feed, 6an return.
Tss stage 2 boost cam, springs, push rod
Summit pro Ls forged std rods & pistons
Ebay log style single turbo manifold
Billet 7875 turbo
Bosch 210s from fic
Greddy profec controller

Is there anything I am missing at the machine shop? It's all being shipped so I don't want to miss anything. Also any reccomendations on parts to help this thing live or perform better would be appreciated. I do plan on adding another 450 pump in the tank on a boost reference switch. I will be on the hunt for a new tuner aswell as my lm7 blew its guts out all over the hwy. I just don't want this to be another practice run. Can't afford that

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome, where are you located? I’m in Edmonton Alberta and my next door neighbor owns black sheep enterprises and true north turbos. Him and his crew do everything from dyno tuning to custom builds. His remote tuning guy can likely work his magic. They just got second place in the Texas drag a few weeks ago running 7 second quarter miles on a LS and they even did an engine swap at the track to keep it going. They also drove 2500 miles to be there but for sure there will be more True North turbos on the track next year. They also sell amazing v bands that are self aligning as well as wastegates that are patented to be superior to the big name stuff. Nicks Chevelle is about 1200 Hp and it’s fully streetable.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I will add that Kyle the guy in the beaver outfit is a complete embarrassment. He’s not a bad guy but I have trouble watching his videos as he’s just so annoying. Nick is the brains behind the operation and he’s super smart but seldom on camera. He stays busy making custom turbo kits and shipping out high end wastegates, turbos, and things like that.

Last edited:

Thenameless

Reaction score
Welcome, where are you located? I’m in Edmonton Alberta and my next door neighbor owns black sheep enterprises and true north turbos. Him and his crew do everything from dyno tuning to custom builds. His remote tuning guy can likely work his magic. They just got second place in the Texas drag a few weeks ago running 7 second quarter miles on a LS and they even did an engine swap at the track to keep it going. They also drove 2500 miles to be there but for sure there will be more True North turbos on the track next year. They also sell amazing v bands that are self aligning as well as wastegates that are patented to be superior to the big name stuff. Nicks Chevelle is about 1200 Hp and it’s fully streetable.
I'm on the coast of bc. I will look them up for sure. I searched long and hard for a tuner from the north.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm on the coast of bc. I will look them up for sure. I searched long and hard for a tuner from the north.
I’m from Nanaimo I can ask around about a GOOD tuner on the coast if your close to Vancouver?

Here’s Nicks website:

You may have to ask him about his tuning recommendations. I will ask him next time I see him as well. He does Holley EFI tuning seminars in Edmonton specifically for boosted cars. He is a very busy guy though so be patient.

Last edited:

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greetings from Canada. Looking for some tips on a street build if anyone has personal experience. I have a 6.0 lq4 that I'm about to send out to machine shop for balancing and cam bearings. My goal is to build something as close to 4 digits as I can without sacrificing streetability for my 97 c1500 2wd rcsb. So far the parts list is this.

Stock pcm (hp tuners)
Walbro 450, 8an feed, 6an return.
Tss stage 2 boost cam, springs, push rod
Summit pro Ls forged std rods & pistons
Ebay log style single turbo manifold
Billet 7875 turbo
Bosch 210s from fic
Greddy profec controller

Is there anything I am missing at the machine shop? It's all being shipped so I don't want to miss anything. Also any reccomendations on parts to help this thing live or perform better would be appreciated. I do plan on adding another 450 pump in the tank on a boost reference switch. I will be on the hunt for a new tuner aswell as my lm7 blew its guts out all over the hwy. I just don't want this to be another practice run. Can't afford that
Me Love Turbo!!
I turbo everything i can.

Why stock PCM? Holley is substantially easier and has everything built in you need. I can set you up with a base tune and you can enjoy riding around.
Walbro 450 wont flow enough fuel for 1000hp
TSS? What size cam? Stage numbers are dumb.
Summit rods and pistons are usually Weisco brand so not bad. But what size bore? 4.030? What heads? Compression?
VSracing billet 78/75? Those are usually maxed out around the 850-875rwhp mark.

What fuel for the 210# injectors?
Greddy controller < Holley
FOr the '97 just wire the front abs wheel speed sensor to the holley and make you a poor mans traction control. I do this on all the turbo trucks. Works great.

Another reason i suggest holley is to control everything, even your extra fuel pumps.(just saw your last paragraph with the extra fuel pump) Plus you can add safeties so if Injector duty cycle goes over a certain amount or fuel pressure drops while in boost you can save your engine.
Stock PCM's have zero fueling corrections while in Power Enrichment. So a simple fuel supply issue can get you another blown engine.

If you want to go all out i can get you in contact with a friend that sells Holley Dominator ECU's for pretty cheap.
Ive been putting them in every build for the past couple years. The options to run 16 injectors and dual fuel is so nice. Ride around on cheap gas and only use the good fuel while at mid-higher boost.

Last edited:

Thenameless

Reaction score
I’m from Nanaimo I can ask around about a GOOD tuner on the coast if your close to Vancouver?

Here’s Nicks website:

You may have to ask him about his tuning recommendations. I will ask him next time I see him as well. He does Holley EFI tuning seminars in Edmonton specifically for boosted cars. He is a very busy guy though so be patient.
I'm in Powell River so that's super close. Let me know if you hear of anyone. Would love to have it tuned on a dyno. I don't mind doing the logs and revisions but it's pretty time consuming.

Thenameless

Reaction score
Me Love Turbo!!
I turbo everything i can.

Why stock PCM? Holley is substantially easier and has everything built in you need. I can set you up with a base tune and you can enjoy riding around.
Walbro 450 wont flow enough fuel for 1000hp
TSS? What size cam? Stage numbers are dumb.
Summit rods and pistons are usually Weisco brand so not bad. But what size bore? 4.030? What heads? Compression?
VSracing billet 78/75? Those are usually maxed out around the 850-875rwhp mark.

What fuel for the 210# injectors?
Greddy controller < Holley
FOr the '97 just wire the front abs wheel speed sensor to the holley and make you a poor mans traction control. I do this on all the turbo trucks. Works great.

Another reason i suggest holley is to control everything, even your extra fuel pumps.(just saw your last paragraph with the extra fuel pump) Plus you can add safeties so if Injector duty cycle goes over a certain amount or fuel pressure drops while in boost you can save your engine.
Stock PCM's have zero fueling corrections while in Power Enrichment. So a simple fuel supply issue can get you another blown engine.

If you want to go all out i can get you in contact with a friend that sells Holley Dominator ECU's for pretty cheap.
Ive been putting them in every build for the past couple years. The options to run 16 injectors and dual fuel is so nice. Ride around on cheap gas and only use the good fuel while at mid-higher boost.
Thanks for the info. Its std bore and stroke. After reading a bit, looks like I may benefit from a new cam. The tss I have is 218/224 .600/.600 113+3lsa. I figure I could repurpose it for the 6.0 swap? It has 317 heads, and 9.5:1 compression and im on 93 octane pump gas. Should I be looking to upgrade to a t6 turbo, and are the ebay logs killing me? I know there was alot of backpressure as it would push the wastegate open long before it reached the specified spring pressure. I will have to do some convincing to fit a bigger downpipe. What does it cost to get into the holley pcm? If it's 4 or 5k like It looks like I can't swing that unfortunately.