5 speed in 98 1500 with 350 vortec ECU check engine light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sabbath93

Reaction score
so long story short I have a 98 chevy 1500 with a 4.3litre and a 5 speed.
once the 4.3 blew up I decided to get a 5.7 vortec and put it in with some
wiring for injectors and a ecu from a 5.7 truck I did a relearn and the truck
fired up and ran great for 3 months I live in British columbia and got a roadside
notice for inspection the inspection requires that the check engine light be off
the truck is running great but the engine light is on because of course the ecu is
looking for the auto transmission

my question

Is there a way to make the ecu overlook or bypass the auto transmission portion?

ie through a jumper or resister i can solder in (saw a post about using a lightbulb in a honda with similar issue)

the dealer is less than friendly when it comes to doing reprogramming and there is a local guy here in town that will do reprogramming but he wants 350$ and I feel that is a little much just to shut off the light with getting rid of the transmission from the programming

the light also has to work for the inspection during the light test during startup

thanks guys

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The solution you're looking for is a re-tune on the ECM. Black Bear Performance and a few other companies will do it for you, but it's going to cost you $250 or so.

sabbath93

Reaction score
like I said Im not looking to get it tuned Im just looking to trick the computer as they didnt make a 98 with a manual transmission and a 350 vortec the dealer is no help and the guy here in town wants 350$

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The long and short of it is nothing is going to "trick" the computer into not throwing a code for this situation. Either reprogram it, or find an inspector who likes you and will pass it as it sits. Even if you manage to shut the light off in the cluster, the second they hook a scanner up to the diagnostic port it's going to throw a code.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
like I said Im not looking to get it tuned Im just looking to trick the computer as they didnt make a 98 with a manual transmission and a 350 vortec the dealer is no help and the guy here in town wants 350$

Who the hell told you that? Sure they were rare, but they do exist. A buddy at work even had one. They came with the NV3500 with a concentric slave.