5 or 6 speed auto transmission Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I do. I'll check it some time. IDK that i have ever done 80 in it lol. I also have a 5 speed, the OD ratio may not be the same. When you are cruising, if you touch your brake does the TC unlock? My speedo is not corrected, my truck has factory 4.10s so i'll have to do some math to see exactly how fast 80 is.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You will need to see my tach when my speedo is on 74 mph. The truck will actually be doing 79.7 mph. Close enough? As a side note, not many 5 or 6 speed autos are double overdrive, there is just less spacing between the gears, so while in theory, this will help, if your final drive ratio is the same, it will not affect your cruising rpm. The trans in the link still runs a .75 OD, so it is not going to help the issue at hand without also re-gearing.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Turbo 400 with a Gear Vendors over/under drive. Tadaaahh! 6 speeds & the final drive rpm's would drop down to a more mileage friendly zone. IIRC the final drive with the O/D is .69.
Not sure if the G/V will bolt up to a 4L60/80 though, but that would give you double over drive, & 8 speeds!